Block paving driveway question. Need help about guys who are paving my drive.

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Luke28, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Luke28

Luke28 Member

Hi all,

I've currently got some guys laying a new driveway. I'm just a bit concerned about a few things and wanted to check if it's fine or normal to do what they are doing.

1st they have laid a weed sheet down onto the hardcore compacted layer. Then on top of this they are putting the sand. Is this ok to do it this way. I've been told by someone else you should have some hardcore on top of the weed sheet. Not just the sheet then the sand then the paving blocks.

Also they have not yet added any drainage or a soakaway. As we require this by law as we are making our driveway 60% bigger.
    You would think this should of been done by now as we have the sand piled up on the drive ready to be compacted.

Thanks for your help.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Does there van have 'Motorway Maintenance' written on the sides?

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Are they based a few hundred miles away from you? Might they have 'travelled' to your location?

Joe95 likes this.
  4. Luke28

Luke28 Member

They have uniforms and branding all over their vehicles. They are based about 5 - 10 miles away. One person down my road has just had there driveway done and another is currently having there's done too.

I'm going to talk to him more about the soakaway tomorrow. Was really wondering about the sand on top of the weed sheet. So it goes hardcore, sheet, sand then paving.
    They are laying edging and the paving tomorrow.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

By "hardcore" do you mean fine gravel type stuff or lumps of old stone and brickwork?

in terms of above or below, this is the reference site for most things paving http://www.pavingexpert.com/faqmembr.htm

In terms of having to fit drains or gullys see https://www.bradstone.com/garden-guides-advice/driveway-legislation/

A lot depends on the type of surface and the direction where the water runs

6. Luke28

Luke28 Member

The hardcore is lumps of stone and bricks. They did compact it.

The drive runs towards the road and all surface water would go onto the road.

I will have a look at those links. Thanks

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hardcore (well compacted) then the sheet, then the sand is the correct way to do it. If you put hardcore down on top of the sheet, then compact that, it'll almost certainly pierce the weed control sheet. Dunno about the soakaway though. I know the rules changed some years ago.

8. Luke28

Luke28 Member

Thanks for your reply.
    The weed sheet as he calls it. Looks like a plastic sheet not a fabric or mesh. Is that right?

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would be having a permeable weed control sheet. Allow some of the rain to soak into the ground. Surely sand on a plastic sheet however well compacted, is gonna get waterlogged and washed away!
    I would have had hardcore compacted, sand compacted, permeable membrane, sand compacted, block.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Luke28

Luke28 Member

Thanks for all your replys. I will have to ask more questions tomorrow. As he says it's a very strong weed sheet that you can't rip.
    Looks like a 90% translucent plastic sheet to me.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You jest a mate of mine offered me some that was left over from a "job" it was off a motorway he had to cut in down to get it in his transit

12. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

The sheet is probably terram,it's a geotextile,the proper stuff for the job,not like that flimsy black junk you get in the sheds.
    http://www.terram.com/

13. Luke28

Luke28 Member

Update!!!

Well his not putting in a soakaway says he will just channel the water into the flower bed!
    His also started laying the blocks without any edging or keystones! I had an argument with him about it and it ended up saying I'm wrong and you can cement the edging in last!!
    Will this mean my drive might move over time?

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Some guys will lay the blocks then at the end draw a line and run a stihl saw along the line and then fit in the blocks. This way it saves on cutting each individual block as you go. Sometimes you will also see a neater curve done this way.

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I think as long as rain water is chanelled into a flower bed then this is acceptable - after all, the bed will be acting as a natural soak away

It's to stop water running off the paving and into the road and main drains. As more and more front gardens are lost, this extra water run off is apparently causing problems with the drainage systems...... Who knows

So certainly a cheaper option than installing a soak away and will work for ever, unlike a soak away which can become silted up over years (yeah I know, not if done properly, blah blah blah) ;)

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Out of interest did you inform building control of your new drive ?

17. Luke28

Luke28 Member

At current there is no new drainage.
    All blocks are laid now but he did say something about removing some at the front for a drain, when I question him about it. We have high edging stones around our flower bed so not sure how much water can drain into it.

18. Luke28

Luke28 Member

Nope did I have to?
    I was thinking if we have the right drainage, it would be ok. That's if his fitting it!

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sorry my mistake I meant to write Planning and building reg. If what you are doing falls under Planing rules then the Building control people will instruct on how the drainage should be provided

Do I need permission to construct or replace a patio, hard standing, path or driveway?

Building Regulations Approval
    Generally no, but please note you should not make access to or access into the dwelling any worse for disabled people. If you do this could require the submission of a Building Regulation application.

Also if you intend to provide any electrical lighting / installations to the outside areas, which receives its electricity from a source shared with or located inside a dwelling, then a Building Regulations application is required for the electrical work.

Planning Permission

Planning permission will be required to construct or replace a patio, hard standing, path or driveway in the following circumstances:
    • Where the hard surface would be situated on land between a wall forming the principal (front) elevation of the dwelling and a highway and the area of ground covered by the hard surface, or the area of hard surface replaced would exceed 5 square metres, unless:
    • The hard surface shall be made of porous materials or
    • Provision shall be made to direct any surface water run-off from the hard surface to a permeable or porous area or surface within the curtilage of the dwelling. For further detailed practical advice please refer to the ‘Guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens’ available by clicking on the following link:http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/pavingfrontgardens
    • You will need to apply for planning permission if the hard surface is not to be used for domestic purposes and is to be used instead, for example, for parking a commercial vehicle or for storing goods in connection with a business.
    • You must obtain the separate approval if a new driveway would cross a pavement or verge. View details on drop kerbs.
    • You will also need to apply for planning permission only if you want to make a new or wider access for your driveway on to a trunk or other classified road.
    bullet point 3, is the relevant part