Block splitter or disc cutter?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by leesparkykent, Jan 19, 2017.

1. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

What's the best method of cutting standard 50mm block pavers? Been thinking of lifting my drive, fixing the low spots, screeding a laying base and putting new blocks down.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Block cutter, safer, especially if you have slithers or small pieces to cut,the block need to be secure to be cut, & a grinder creates a lot of dust.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    leesparkykent likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

This doesn't happen very often, but I totally disagree.

Cutting with a grinder win over every time, in fact the only time I use a block splitter is on old styled rumbled blocks that don't have a sharp/square edge.

As for cutting small angle etc a splitter will make a right mess of it, hence why you see pattern run out at the edge when a splitter used, also try cutting a curve with a splitter.

So All in all 99% grinder, 1% splitter.

koolpc, Joe95 and leesparkykent like this.
  4. This doesn't happen often, but I agree with both.

And disagree.

Och, I don't know... :(

All I know is, I cut chust 3 2' square slabs a couple of days ago with a 9" grinder, and wouldn't like to do any more.

The DUST! My BACK! My half-worn DISC (er, the machine's disc...)

I guess a mix of the two, then - hire a splitter for the bulk of the cuts, but use a grinder for smaller, detail trims?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

A diamond blade would have been quicker/better DA. Agree, for straightforward cutting of 50mm blocks up to about three quarters use a block cutter or even in extremis a 4 inch bolster. For anything requiring odd shapes/slithers, although best to avoid those by turning blocks around, a disc cutter is much better and more accurate. Technically you should try to finish edges to avoid laying less than half a block but not that convenient sometimes.

7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Disc cutter all the way for me too. I've the Evolution, and you can attach Henry to it to reduce the dust big time. Still kicks up a good bit though.
    If I'm doing lots of cuts I'll hire a Stihl, and attach a hose pipe to it, then there is almost no dust.

Grinder though, no. You can't control the dust and it's too messy.
    The grinder is also a lot lighter and harder to keep steady, so chances of a dodgy cut are much higher.

Something I have done a few times now is attach the diamond blade to the Evo miter saw, and then you can get some great cuts. Doing the ends of block paving is a whole load easier with something you can set an angle on.

koolpc likes this.
  8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Same here. I have used a grinder several times. Nice clean cuts. Yea, dusty but the finish is clean!

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I've the evo disc cutter too. I've seen how evo sell diamond blades for their mitre saws. Opens up interesting possibilities because they are not expensive.

Joe95 likes this.
  10. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Just watched a lovely bit of block paving wrapped round my sister's house be installed.

The very able fella used a Stihl saw for the cuts

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

They are a great brand for the money. The disk cutter is a few years old, and It beats my old Stihl. Unreliable when you don't start them up often. Now I just have to plug it in.
    Not as much grunt, but it'll happily cut through bricks and pavers all day long.
    Considering the mitre saw blade is sold as a 'tile' blade, it sure can do a lot more.

The weight of the disc cutters are a massive help to keeping it steady.

12. Phil the Paver

Idiots being the optimum word, having cut literally thousands of blocks with a 9" grinder with diamond blade I have never had one jump or snatch, but I couldn't suggest its the way to go because I don't know if the person doing it, is an idiot. :D:D:D

ramseyman and KIAB like this.
  13. Phil the Paver

Stihl saws are very bulky and awkward to use compared to a 9" grinder, I would never use one.

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Can always lay with an overhang on edges then do the cut in one go...running blade along s straight plank

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

9" grinder for me too I'm afraid, unrivalled in manoeuvrability (word of the day) compared to wielding a stihl, far cleaner cutting angles than a splitter, and completely safe to use provided you're not a completely inept banana, and if that's the case, you shouldn't be anywhere near one anyways.

ramseyman likes this.
  16. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

I'm going to pull it up tomorrow. Got 2 tonne of type 1, 3 tonne of grit sand and 40 square meters of blocks. Going to lay the edging/soldier course on 100mm 1:2:4 mix concrete, fix and compact the low spots/dips, screed off the new laying bed using a few lengths of galv conduit as rails, lay the new blocks in 45degree herringbone, cut in, brush in silica sand and run the wacker plate over making a good few passes in each direction. I have a 9" Grinder but also can borrow a evolution disc cutter if need be.