blocking internal doors

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by PEAENJAY, May 20, 2016.

1. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

I am about to make changes to my late 1950s bungalow including blocking some doors and opening up new ones in solid internal walls. I am planning to use concrete blocks to close the existing door openings but if I use timber framing and plasterboard instead, is there a probability of cracking at the joints between the existing wall and the new plasterboard ?

I haven't taken off any plaster yet, so is it more likely that the internal walls are brick on a building of this age ? any problems using concrete block if they are brick ?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Q1:Yes.
    Q2: No

Stick to blockwork.:)

And use a few wall ties to tie it in to the exsisting brick work.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Brian_L likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You might need one row of bricks to finish off after last course of blocks, easier than cutting thin slithers of blocks.

Brian_L likes this.
  4. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

What is required regarding a lintel for this job ?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wha's the depth between top of door frame & ceiling, I would usually use a 100x65mm concrete lintel, siting on engineering brick padstones, (old school:(), but occcasionally a Catnic CN102 Internal Solid Wall Lintel Extra Light Duty 1200mm, if there is only one course of blockwork over a standard doorway opening.

http://www.builditshop.co.uk/acatalog/Catnic_Interior_Solid_Wall_Light_Duty_Lintels_CN102.html

6. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

The ceiling height is 2.4m, so above door depth will be about 400mm. I have seen recommendation to remove blocks up to the ceiling and then rebuild, presumably onto a lintel.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

How are going to support the brick work above the new opening while you fit the lintel ?

8. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

The wall is non-load bearing so blocks above the door would be removed up to the ceilng and then replaced after the frame is in place. That is what I have seen recommended as being easier.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If the wall is not load bearing wouldn't be easier to just remove the wall between the old opening and new and just replace with a stud wall and platerboard ? This way you won't need the expense of a lintel and will be a lot quicker than laying blocks then plastering ?

Rugbyears likes this.
  10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would try determining the size of the doors to be used and then the overall size of opeing taking into account the frame size allowing for an 1"? wider.

Rugbyears likes this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What blocks will you be using?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A few more details:rolleyes:, build a stud frame & board it, skim it, much simpler.

13. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

A stud frame would certainly be easier but I would expect cracking to appear at the joins due to movement of the timber. I have not much experience laying bricks or blocks but I already have an old doorway blocked up with wallboard by the previous owner and it is cracked around the joint. I am thinking concrete blocks skimmed with plaster or possibly plasterboard is the best way to go.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm getting confused now.:confused:

If you putting in a doorway, I prefer a lintel & blockwork, as found out with stud frame, you can get cracking on the joints, even if taped.
    If your not use to building & lintels,you'll find it's easier remove blockwork to ceiling & rebuild blockwork after doorframe is in.

Practice your blockwork on the old board up doorway.

15. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

In fact I am doing both, blocking up a few doors and opening up new ones at other locations. All are in internal solid walls.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You will likely find the exiting opening have just used a timber lintel to support the blockwork above, in effect it is only holding up about 4 block so no much in the way of loading.

Find out the width of the blocks used, possibly 4" but smaller widths may have been used.

I think if I were doing the job, would go for the blockwork infill, the lintel as K mentions wold be fine, but you may just want to use wood as you wont be able to get a fixing in the head for door lining, there are ways round this though.

Look at tie in in the blockwork too, brickwork is normally tied in at ever 3rd course, so every second block would be sufficient, wall starters would be a bit excessive so look at using screw in ties.

But would agree that its far easier to just remove all the blockwork above for the new opening.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

1 block is equal to 3 bricks, so a tie for ever course of block. It may be best to lay a row of bricks or half cut blocks first to upset to bed joints, so the tie can be fixed into the actual block rather that the mortar joint.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-screw-ties-25-pack/31633

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  18. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

If you are inexperienced at building with blocks, you might like to try working with adhesive rather than mortar. I have used Everbuild adhesive previously for replacing a disintegrating brick wall under a window and achieved very good results. I'd not used the stuff previously, but the spec was for minimal heat loss through thermal bridging and it worked like a dream. It's as close to building with Lego as you can currently get.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Which Everbuild product did you use ?

20. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

I used Griptite. I did a test with some scrap block offcuts and gave it a full 24 hours to set, then tried to separate them and the block gave way before the adhesive did. Easy to use, if rather expensive for a big job.