blocking internal doors

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by PEAENJAY, May 20, 2016.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stick with mortar, cheaper.

2. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

I do. But there is no comparison when it comes to thermal efficiency and I suspect that as houses become more and more 'green' we will see it more and more.

3. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

Ok thanks for all the inputs. I also have an unused external door to block of which is a cavity wall. I plan to use blocks and ties for that also plus insulation in the cavity of course. Is there any need to put in a damp proof membrane after I remove the wooden step, or can I put mortar straight onto the concrete floor and build up ?

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is the outside cavity, brick construction?

5. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

Yes, just had insulation blown in.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There may already be a DPC on the step, if not no harm in reinstating.

The exterior should be done in matching bricks, these can be toothed in for a better job for a better job and look loads better.

What is the current lintel setup on the lintel, are the bricks laid in soldier or stretcher bond?

7. PEAENJAY

PEAENJAY Member

The exterior is rendered so I can't see bricks until I start the work. I will add a scratch coat ready for new rendering to the whole side of the house so I am planning to use blocks.