Blocking Mice Holes - Mouse Proof Expanding Foam?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Axel, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Axel

Axel New Member

Any thoughts on the best materials to seal gaps inside pipe ducts and general holes aroung pipes to prevent mice coming into the house. Expanding foam is the obvious choice but according to the major pest controlller in the country the mice would eat through the foam. Is there such a thing as mouse proof expanding foam?

Any other ideas?

Axel

2. HunterOfNumpties

HunterOfNumpties New Member

Thinking outside the box a little, is it possible to mix or inject some sort of rodent poison with/into the foam? Or something that is poisonous to them. If they do munch through it, bye-bye mousey and if they don't, hey hoe, holes sealed anyway.

Just a thought.

;)

3. nigel

nigel Guest

I used wire wool, they don't like chewing metal.

4. paulo333

paulo333 Member

I tried to combat a rodent problem in India and they would eat through metal easily if they could smell food. Maybe British mice aren't so hungry?

5. ­

­ New Member

Block the holes with cheese. That should stop 'em.

6. russ295

russ295 New Member

had a problem with a rat once, ate through foam, wood and cement, got an old florry tube smashed it into a bucket and mixed it with sand/cement. teeth marks the following day but never got through, ever.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Get one of these fillers. Stops them instantly.
    Can't remember the exact name but the cartridges they use are called 12-bore or something.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

9. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

plug the holes with stainless sofit vent mesh.

10. chippie chris

chippie chris New Member

ive never heard of rodents chewing through foam, but i could be wrong! why not push some broken glass into the foam before it goes off

11. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

break some glass bottle or anything wrap the small pieces in newspaper then push it in gently to the hole spray with foam ,the mouse may bite through once ,but when it cuts it mouth it wont try that again

12. jonob

jonob Member

if you can then do a cement mix with added glass - i worked for me , they defo can chew expanding foam !! ;)

13. handyman.

handyman. New Member

cement with wire mesh.

14. Biffo

Biffo Member

insulation /fibre glass ???

15. Rickbuilt

Rickbuilt New Member

We had a real big rodent problem at the plant where i work. Thae chewed through the fiberglass and the expandable foam and drywall as well. Unfortunately, you have to tackel the source head on otherwise youll be doing a lot of rework thats my .02