Bloody sleeve anchors?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, May 23, 2017.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Just bought some sleeve fasteners from screwfix, the fisher ones.

Trying to fix a turntable shelf on wall..

I've used them before without any success....

i mark drill points through shelf

I drill 10mm hole in concrete block

Hold shelf bracket, insert sleeve anchor and tighten and they never grip and just turn, turn turn? They seem a tight fit when I insert them.

I would expect a few failures but everyone is the same? I tried into some brick to and just the same, it seems they don't grip to sides of hole? What am I doing wrong? I drilled with brand new 10mm masonry bit using sds drill?

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Use multimonti's, thunderbolts or concrete bolts, different names for the same things.

malkie129 and tore81 like this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For heaven's sake.
    When you insert the fastener, the whole thing needs to go through your workpiece up to the flange of the sleeve.
    The screw should be screwed into the sleeve hand tight BEFORE inserting the fastener.

4. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks I've Done all that and they never grip? It's going into a very fine concrete block, I drilled with a new sds bit originally.

So I repositioned the shelf and and drilled new holes, I had a 10mm hss drill bit in and it went straight in like butter.

I wonder if I push them in and use my interset tool just to open the ends a little before tighting them? I know how they are supposed to work, but they not doing what they are supposed to ?

5. Its a new drill bit, but is it a good one?

Is the fastener a tight fit in the hole or sloppy as you put it in?

Try 9mm hole maybe ?

6. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

It's tight in the hole, I have to hammer/ tap it in? Do you think using an interset tool to open the end up would maybe work?

tore81 likes this.
  7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Send a picture this is going to far

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Why sleeve anchors?

If you are going into the fine, fairly soft blocks then Fischer FUR fixings might be better. They have a "comb" which is pushed out as the screw goes in and the teeth bite into the block - I have used a lot of them and find them to be extremely good.
    http://www.fischer.co.uk/Home/tabid...tegory-1001001023/usetemplate-productdetails/
    http://www.fischer.co.uk/Home/tabid-1429/tabid-1434.aspx/cpage-category/pcategory-1001000987/

Drill the hole, insert plug, put bracket/batten in place, insert screw with washer if needed, tighten up using a hex driver or socket. They will not go anywhere.

9. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Similar, but not the same. They might work but nothing to really bite in and I'm not a Rawlplug fan.

I might be tempted to try some of the new DuoPower plugs ... http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-duopower-wall-plugs-8-x-50mm-50-pack/5424p have seen them in use and they bite and hold but have yet to try any myself.

11. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Bit confused, you say a HSS drill went in like butter, concrete should have knackered a HSS bit in seconds so maybe your blocks are not concrete but lightweight blocks that are very soft and always a problem to fix in.

12. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I had a similar problem a few times then gave up with that type of fixing. I shook them about and applied a leverage on them and it looked like they might just bite , but didn't grab onto the masonry and worked themselves undone as soon as. That was approx 1/2 inch size.

13. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Turbo blocks I reckon. Soft as a bag of soft sand.

14. Working On It

Working On It Member

Blimey, bit moody aren't we.....
    Sleeve anchors, I hate them more than I hate plastic plugs in wood,

WOI

malkie129 likes this.
  15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I hate sleeve anchors too. The best solid anchors I use are brass inserts like these http://brassfactory.co.uk/brass-expansion-anchors.html that take threaded rod. I acquired several boxes years ago that I am still working through. Drill a hole, insert a piece of rod into the anchor and screw in hand tight until it just starts to spread. Tap in to hole, then wind the rod with mole grips. (or screw on a couple of nuts locked together and use a spanner) They go VERY tight in just about anything. Will split bricks if you go overboard. Cut the rod off to length with a hacksaw, and put a nut on. Bit of a faff, but never let me down when I need a strong anchor.

16. barcyn

barcyn Member

Try Liebig Safety Bolts. The sleeve has a wedge at each end that open the sleeve parallel(ily) (is that a word?). The point is that the tightening load is transferred into the substrate across a much greater area than in a fixing with one wedge. They're used in highly critical applications such as nuclear power stations and therefore a bit more expensive but for your need the cost difference will be peanuts.

www.liebig.co.uk

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

*** use thunderbolts.

malkie129 likes this.
  18. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

19. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Use them hanging units when the wall is dot & dab over blocks. Quick & strong.

20. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member