Blown plaster -- gluing it back to wall.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by hopefulBuilder, Jul 22, 2015.

1. This has been discussed before, and greeted with derision by most.

But faced with a large wall (in my house) that was blown, I decided to experiment.

I knocked a section of plaster off, and found the rest of the plaster had about 1mm gap to the wall. Press on the plaster and it moved in and out -- like a sheet of plasterboard. Since I had recently glued some plasterboard to brick wall using Dry Fix foam, I tried drilling a hole (5mm dia) in the blown plaster near the open edge and squirted some foam in. The foam spread out to about 120mm dia. See photo.
    So I drilled a matrix of holes, squirted in the foam.

Wall seems solid now. It took an hour or so. And after filling the holes the wall is ready to decorate.
    p1.jpg

Mark.evans@808 likes this.
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

bearing in mind that you are still going to have to plaster the wall this seems a bit pointless.

3. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

If your happy with it, you don't really need any advice Hb , go with your flow lol.

4. I love your username, hopefulbuilder...

How well does that foam adhere to dusty surfaces?

5. I wasn't asking a question. Just presenting the results of an experiment in case any DIYers were interested.

It saved me having to replaster a whole wall. It seems solid. And if it starts to become loose again in future -- what have I lost? I'll replaster the wall.

6. Seems Fine. Blowing foam into the holes near the edges did not bring any dust out, so I don't think there was much dust in there. A test piece of old plaster glued to the bare brick wall with foam had to be chiselled off; foam sticks very well :)

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you think it's worked then all well and good, but surely it would be quicker to knock it off and replaster the wall.

8. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

um, let us know how it goes :confused:

9. Cool. The fact that you could show the foam had spread quite a distance is good.

I recall trying something similar a few houses back, but using PVA. Same idea - drilled some shallow holes, sucked out the dust and then tried to inject PVA in to the gap. I'm sure it helped a bit!

10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I think the general consensus with the spreads i have worked with on blown plaster is: if it sounds hollow but otherwise sound - leave it. If it starts falling off when you are testing its soundness: knock it off until you get to a sound part. Just my 2 pence worth!

Deleted member 33931 and Gatt like this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

thanks for posting HB. I have just tried this technique. With blown render and it works. I used soudal fix all

drill holes at around 200mm centers and then squeeze the foam in. would have stripped the plaster back to brick, but coving was in place so was able to secure the scrathcoat and carefully remove the finishing skim coat as it was cement render.

12. legin1958

legin1958 New Member

This method has been mocked on this forum and elsewhere but for what its worth, one of my walls had a large area (probably 3ft x 4 ft) where the plaster had blown. The plaster surface was excellent so I was reluctant to hack it all off. My attempts to patch small areas at a time made it look worse. So I drilled a horizontal line of small holes, sloping downwards, just above the blown area and then injected in some diluted PVA adhesive. Repeated the injection process several times letting it set in between, until no more would go in. Filled the drilled holes with Polyfilla. The affected area is now rock solid. So it worked for me and saved a considerable amount of time and expenditure.

I would be wary of using foam filler instead of PVA since (although VERY sticky) it can exert a considerable pressure when expanding.

13. HotFoilBen

HotFoilBen New Member

Hi,

Just looking for some advice. How loose was the plaster on the wall?

I am currently redecorating and have found a large section of blown plaster on a chimney breast (the size roughly of the blown area is (1.6m wide and 1.1m high) would your technique work for this?

When the blown area is pushed there isn’t any flex in it but I don’t want to put foam behind it and it get pushed off!

Thanks in advance,

Ben

14. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Hopefulbuilder hasn't posted since 2015 and Legin1958 since 2016 so I don't think you are going to get any advice

15. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Both buried under blown plaster ? :)

gadget man likes this.
  16. HotFoilBen

HotFoilBen New Member

Always worth a shot!

17. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

My father worked on bomb damaged houses in London after the war. His tip on blown plaster was to use very diluted finishing plaster run behind the blown plaster from a small piece of plaster that had been removed. I have tried the PVA as in post 12 a number of times and it has worked well for me and saved the mess of trying to replaster a wall in an otherwise well finished house with carpets down. I use an old one litre plastic oil container with the long plastic tube on the top so I can get a little bit of pressure into the hole while tapping the plaster around the hole to get the PVA to move around.

Mark.evans@808 and Jord86 like this.
  18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Drywall adhesive (dot and dab) mixed to plaster/single cream consistency trowelled lightly into the cracks and loose areas of plaster also works to secure the loose, but the area needs to be dampened with diluted PVA first.

19. Mark.evans@808

Mark.evans@808 New Member

Well I’ve gone back to brick on the whole house because of blown plaster. One small room I thought was ok so skimmed has since blown so I’m gonna give this a go.failing that it’s all coming off.

20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

A whole house of blown plaster makes a lot of s**** to shift!!