Board above front door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by gtflash, Jan 18, 2017.

1. gtflash

gtflash Member

my front door recess is 1.5x width. The space above the front door appears to be timber exterior and timber interior with a small cavity of roughly an inch. I have condensation forming in this area, and this panel is physically colder to touch. Can I insulate it? Inside or out? It is only a small area approx 1.5mx0.3m. It meets the underside of flat roof. I wondered if I could treat it like a flat roof, and insulate internally but mildly put off by this talk of dew points moving inward

Thanks got

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How far does the flat roof go to inside of house.
    Use low expansion foam to fill cavity.

3. gtflash

gtflash Member

The flat roof is the width of the front door deep into house (door is on side) and goes the width of hallway and then garage. I work quite a bit on boats and we steer clear of expanding foam as it absorbs water eventually. Could it draw moisture in? The outside surface is only painted I believe. I have been thinking about the expanding foam I put round my door and was wondering if it was the right thing to do lately.

I found insulation that goes behind cladding on king span.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You'll find nearly all window companies use expanding foam around doors and window frames.