Boarded and Plastered Wall Gap

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by rozza, Apr 19, 2006.

1. rozza

rozza New Member

May be a daft question but is there a "technical" reason for the gap left between the floor and the bottom of the wall plaster board? Is there any reason why I shouldn't fill gapwith repair plaster for instance before fitting the skirting boards?

I have been left with a rather large aperture!

2. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

the gap is supposed to stop damp rising from the floor up the wall.

3. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

''I have been left with a rather large aperture''

It should be only a inch gap I always use two bits of half inch plasterboard

4. ­

­ New Member

the gap is supposed to stop damp rising from
    the floor up the wall.

What, in the bedrooms?

This gap is left so that the plasterer isn't dragging debris back onto the new plaster. The floor edges will be covered with plaster snots and splashes which will be drying, get those picked up on the trowel and it ruins the new plastering.

5. ­

­ New Member

btw, we always board right to the floor but the plasterer leaves a 50mm gap for the above reason

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sorry verycleverman. You're wrong.

You do not leave a gap at the floor to prevent pickup of ****. That is a poor excuse.

If it were the case that you wanted to plaster to the floor, you would allow for it by skimming from an inch up, then skimming 'along' the area to go behind the skirting. No difficulty there for a plasterer who knows what he is doing.

It is[the gap] indeed the reason for preventing rising damp, not just from beneath the floor(in this day and age a damp membrane is always in), but more from spillages.

If you have a spillage and the plaster is at the floor - too late. You can't dry it out. It's behind the skirting.

If the plaster is not at the floor, any spillage may hit the brickwork but can dry out at there is a gap.

Upstairs, where floors are boarded, it is still a good idea to leave a gap, as this separates the plasterwork from the boards and subsequent movement against the plaster.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

What, in the bedrooms?

where does it say the wall is in a bedroom?

8. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

if its a wooden floor i don't use packers

9. ­

­ New Member

Sorry verycleverman. You're wrong.

You do not leave a gap at the floor to prevent pickup
    of ****. That is a poor excuse.

If it were the case that you wanted to plaster to the
    floor, you would allow for it by skimming from an
    inch up, then skimming 'along' the area to go behind
    the skirting. No difficulty there for a plasterer who
    knows what he is doing.

It is[the gap] indeed the reason for preventing
    rising damp, not just from beneath the floor(in this
    day and age a damp membrane is always in), but more
    from spillages.

If you have a spillage and the plaster is at the
    floor - too late. You can't dry it out. It's behind
    the skirting.

If the plaster is not at the floor, any spillage may
    hit the brickwork but can dry out at there is a gap.

Upstairs, where floors are boarded, it is still a
    good idea to leave a gap, as this separates the
    plasterwork from the boards and subsequent movement
    against the plaster.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

Complete bollix I'm afraid! How often do you spill stuff in your house? Not enough to adopt a special plastering method I'm sure!

Even if you were constantly spilling things, the blocks will soak it up and it's into the plaster in a few seconds anyway, gap or no gap.

Having employed many plasterers over the years, I feel that their reasons are the correct ones. It's to avoid picking up debris onto the trowel.

If you DID want to plaster tight to the floor (some jobs this is required) then it is a much more time consuming job to make a decent flat edge where the wall meets the floor. So if it's not needed (due to skirting being fitted) then why do it?

10. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Mr HA and vcm; all the reasons you've both given are valid - damp/spills, easier, debris, expansion movement, etc. etc.

Why don't you two kiss and make up?

(can I watch?)

nigel willson likes this.
  11. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

I know the reason why and its for damp traveling up then plastererborad, stupid I know but thats the reason, same goes for damp proofing you cant sand and cement to the floor your required to leave a 1 inch gap

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr HA and vcm; all the reasons you've both given are
    valid - damp/spills, easier, debris, expansion
    movement, etc. etc.

Why don't you two kiss and make up?

(can I watch?)

Shan't.

Mr verycleverman, your reasons are poppycock. They may well be valid reasons for achieving what you want(an easy job, not too much faffing around), but they are not the reasons that for many, many years the plaster and plasterboards more recently are/is left off the floor.

Being in the trade, you of all people will know the effects of water on the 3 substances in question(plaster/board and render).But don't forget brick.

You will know exactly what will happen when you flick a wet brush at plaster. You will know exactly what will happen when you do the same to board, and render.

It soaks in almost before it hits. Yes ?

Not so for bricks, and even less so for engineering bricks(which are more likely to be seen at floor level).

So a bit of spillage or rising damp will take a long time to travel up the bricks and will have a chance to dry out before it does, but as I said before, with plaster, too late.

The inch gap gives you that breathing space.

I shouldn't be telling you this really. You should know it.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. ­

­ New Member

You will know exactly what will happen when you flick
    > a wet brush at plaster. You will know exactly what
    will happen when you do the same to board, and
    render.

It soaks in almost before it hits. Yes ?

Where is all this water coming from? Do you live under a waterfall?

> Not so for bricks, and even less so for engineering
    bricks(which are more likely to be seen at floor
    level).

Engineering bricks? Show me any house with engineering bricks at dpc level? Externally the face bricks are used, internally flettons or regrade facing are used. Engineering bricks are a speciality brick, used only on rare occasions in house building (We never use them)

> So a bit of spillage or rising damp will take a long
    time to travel up the bricks and will have a chance
    to dry out before it does, but as I said before, with
    plaster, too late.

The inch gap gives you that breathing space.

Once again you're obsessed with this spillage thing! Are you a very clumsy person who's constantly dropping buckets of water everywhere? And what's this 'rising damp' thing? Rising damp is extremely rare and has been completely designed out of modern construction. Floor screeds are completely dry and have carpet on them but you reckon a plasterboard edge sitting on it will become saturated! But what about upstairs walls - do they suffer from rising damp? No of course not, neither do ground floor walls in properly built homes.

If rising damp was a problem then that 1" gap to the plaster would mean nothing, problem properties with rising damp have to be replastered <u>39"</u> up from the floor!

> I shouldn't be telling you this really. You should
    know it.

Yes, I do, that's why I'm a house builder and you're just a handyman.

14. rozza

rozza New Member

Many thanks to you all.

To settle the matter, I've decided to leave a reduced gap! How's that for diplomacy. The alternative of hairy a*d builders kissing each other or worse doesn't bear thinking about!

I've also learned something - I think!

15. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

The alternative of
    hairy a*d builders kissing each other or worse
    doesn't bear thinking about!

you never know, maybe some builders get their ar*e waxed! ....:D

16. ­

­ New Member

> Many thanks to you all.

To settle the matter, I've decided to leave a reduced
    gap! How's that for diplomacy. The alternative of
    hairy a*d builders kissing each other or worse
    doesn't bear thinking about!

I've also learned something - I think!

Lol! But whatever method you adopt, be sure to have a mop at the ready in case of spillage.............;-)

17. Mr. Handyandy

Verycleverman, you are living in a blinkered and careless world.

1 (one, uno, un/une, ein, und) spillage is enough to ruin the plaster. It immediatly soaks in at the bottom. You never mop it up because it's under the skirting and rising up the plaster before you've picked the bucket up.

"Houses with rising damp have 39" of plaster removed and replaced"

Yes, but you don't remove all the brickwork/blockwork too, do you ? Wonder why.

It's because the plaster(and it's bond) has suffered, not the bricks.

If you'd left an inch+ gap, that bucketful of water would have caused one problem. Soggy skirting. Now skirting is not a big job to sort out.

Removal and replacement of plaster/plasterboard IS.

Sounds like a GOOD argument for leaving a gap to me.

NOT 'to stop me workers picking up the **** from the floor'

Mr. HandyAndy - really

18. on a timber frame building you need a bit of a gap around your bottom in case you suffer from shrinkage

19. Mr. Handyandy

Ooooo'er!!!!Missus.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

weekender likes this.
  20. DaveDos

DaveDos New Member

10 years later, I wonder if Mr.A finally found out about the dpc