Boarded and Plastered Wall Gap

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by rozza, Apr 19, 2006.

1. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

On concrete floor, board till an inch above and plaster to the bottom of board. This is to stop damp in the concrete getting pulled up the board.

Upper floors, solid or timber. Board to floor and plaster till wherever you want to stop as you are fitting skirting. Leaving a gap is a fire risk and an acoustic breach point.

2. weekender

weekender New Member

I've had a wet room built, new ground floor extension, the plasterer left a gap between 40-50 mm at the bottom. The man who is fitting altro vinyl up the wall says the gap is too big for his former and it needs filling. What should I fill it with?

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If it's a stud wall then screw a rip of plasterboard or ply to it. If it's dabbed, then dab a rip of PB...leave a gap between this and the floor. The floor layer will use a 'coving' which will come up the wall about 50 mm and the flooring will go up further depending on where he fits his finishing strip. If it's being tiled...guess it will be then you use a specific tile trim which you should fit before flooring and tiling. Set this approx 100mm off the floor using a laser level and stick on with silicon. You can then tile straight off this trim. Your floor layer should really be giving you a bit more info :)

weekender likes this.
  4. weekender

weekender New Member

Thanks. I'm not a builder, diy expert. And I don't want the plasterer back!!
    It's dabbed. He stuck it on thick because plumber didn't set pipes into block work. What's the best way to cut pb, I've got pieces of it left by plasterer. What do I stick it on with? How big a gap should I Leave? Anything else I should know?

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Get a straight edge and a sharp Stanley knife. Mark out the strips using a tape measure/pencil/straightedge on the face of the PB, then using straightedge and Stanley, score along those lines, then snap it backwards and cut through the paper on the other side. Get a bag of PB adhesive, mix up reasonably thick and apply some large dollops to the back of your PB rip that are bigger than the depth on the wall. Maneuver into place and gently tap flush with existing. If you cut the rips so that another thickness of plasterboard will slide underneath the bottom edge and floor then that's about right. It's not hard, but there is a learning curve involved so expect to get a bit messy to start with :)

weekender likes this.
  6. weekender

weekender New Member

Great thanks for being so clear.

7. martinwilkinson

martinwilkinson New Member

I have nothing to add to the debate, just an observation that "spillages" do occur. I'm thinking of my small daughter putting the plug in the bathroom sink and turning the tap on. And leaving it.