Boarding garage walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Richard Priddy, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Richard Priddy

Richard Priddy New Member

I've recently moved into a house with a large garage, I'm hoping to turn a third of it into a workshop and plan to board the walls with OSB.

My plan is to make a stud wall using pressure treated timber, covering it with OSB.

The garage wall is only single skin brick. After moving in I found the inside of the garage wall was wet because the previous owners had left their water butt resting up against the wall. Having moved the water butt, the wall has dried out so I'm assuming that was the problem.

I'm wondering if I need to put any damp proofing between the brick and the stud wall to ensure the timber doesn't draw any damp or start rotting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Fix and level studs, celotex between if you want to improve insulation (def worthwhile), then staple a DPM to your stud work then fit your board.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would also give walls a coat of Blackjack DPM ( competitor )will give you a damp proof membrane on wall,second line of defence.
    I always carry dpm down wall & continue with a strip just tad wider than the sole plate where it will sit on floor.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  4. Richard Priddy

Richard Priddy New Member

Thanks CGN: Is Celotex worth it if I'm only boarding one wall?

Thanks KIAB: Am I correct in saying your suggestion is Blackjack DPM between the brick wall and stud, then DPM between the stud and board?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.

Paint brick wall, then stud work,then DPM between the stud and board & keep osb board a few mm's from floor when fitting.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Difficult to say if its just one wall. May help depending on the orientation of the wall with regards to the compass and weather. If you're screwing board on, you can always easily remove it and fit insulation any time if you feel the need :)