Boiler / CH / HW problem

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Paulogouveia, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Paulogouveia

Paulogouveia New Member

Hi guys,

I have a problem at home at the moment that would require your expertise. Thank you in advance.

From 2 days ago, the Heating is not switching off with the timer. The timer is set up from 6/8 in the morning for example but it doesn't actually switches off, it keeps going. The light actually goes off on the screen but the radiators are hot all day if I don't switch it off.

Same thing with the boiler, it doesn't switch off with the timer.

Does it has to do something with the weather temperature being lower than usual and it kicked in some kind of 'emergency procedure'? Or is it something broke/needs replacement?

I also read something about a 'frost stat', can this be the reason?

Thanks in advance!

2. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

Not a spark or heating engineer but sounds like the problem could be the timer or related wiring but not sure

3. TooManyTools

TooManyTools New Member

Could be a zone valve? Just replaced one for the mother for a similar issue. The motorised zone valves have a microswitch that controls whether it's calling for heat. The timer doesn't actually control the call for heat, it controls the valve. When the valve opens it hits a microswitch that activates the boiler. Likewise when it closes. If it is stuck open or partially open it will keep calling for heat regardless of timer and thermostat and, as it's open this heat is being pushed around the radiators.

[EDIT]
    Also, if this is the case the boiler will fire up straight away when you turn it on regardless of controls. Is the only way to stop it heating turning off the power?

4. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

No heating works perfect with controls

5. TooManyTools

TooManyTools New Member

That's not how I interpreted the OP. Sounded like they had to turn off the boiler to kill the heating. I'll let them clarify.

6. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

Sorry I was thinking this was a different post from what it is

7. what boiler is it (Make, model) and what programmer? Is it a system or combi? How old? Do you have separate thermostat fitted?

8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I had a similar issue with my Bosch boiler when the receiver on the radio thermostat failed. With my boiler a feed is needed from the receiver to turn the boiler OFF, so with a screwed receiver their was no off signal and the boiler remained on. Replaced the receiver, all OK.