Boiler condensate outlet problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by micktheminer, Sep 19, 2017.

1. micktheminer

micktheminer New Member

IMG_20170919_182919314.jpg Just had a new Ideal Logic+ combi installed in the kitchen with the condensate pipe joined to the sink waste outlet pipe on its run to the internal soil stack in kitchen corner (as pic), now when the sink is emptied there is a water gurgling noise from the boiler which Ideal tell me could invalidate any warranty claim.
    The same pipe run was in use on the old Ideal boiler without a prob.
    Any simple ideas how this can be avoided ?
    Installer coming back to investigate but condensate outlets seem to get a lot of varying opinions so......
    Grateful for any tips.

2. I guess it needs an air break of some kind - best, I think, would be for the condensate pipe to drop in to a wider pipe which also has a U bend so no smells come back out. Same principle as a washing machine drain - smaller pipe sitting inside a larger one.

As it stands, the rushing sink waste water is sucking oot the condensate trap which - in theory - could allow flue gases to escape. Extremely unlikely to be dangerous, but clearly breaches regs.

Very best idea is to contact Ideal and ask them the best way to connect in to an existing sink waste.

3. micktheminer

micktheminer New Member

Thanks for the guidance. If the installer is unsure (I`ll be surprised) its helpful for me to understand a bit of what`s going on.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Figure 6 - Connection of Condensate Drainage Pipe Upstream of a Sink, Basin, Bath or Shower Waste Trap to External Drain, Gulley or Rainwater Hopper