Boiler cupboard

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Vickers_x, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Vickers_x

Vickers_x New Member

Hi, sorry if this isn't the right section for this, but I had a boiler made and fitted around my boiler a couple of months ago and now wish to paint it. Is there a specific paint I need to use or does it need to be wood paint?
    Does it need to be a heat resistant paint with it being round a boiler?
    Thanks in advance

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

"Normal" paint is fine.

Vickers_x and KIAB like this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use an acrylic (waterbased) eggshell as solvent based paints may ignite although unlikely whilst curing in close proximity to a naked flame.

Vickers_x likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Modern boilers give no heat out externally and run cool to the touch

Boiler manufacturers will publish clearance tolerances when enclosing the boiler and these gaps are tiny with regards to a risk of combustion - something like 5 -10 mm is required at the sides

Larger gap is required underneath and at front but this is more to do with servicing access than combustion

Therefore any paint will do the job
    What's the cupboard made from ?

5. Vickers_x

Vickers_x New Member

Thank you, this was helpful! It's just made from MDF (I think). I never did ask, I paid somebody to fit it, the same person usually does a lot of boiler cupboards/radiator cupboard etc presumably from the same material. He did offer to paint it at the time but wanted an extra £45 on top

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

DIY I bow to your superior knowledge:rolleyes:

7. Vickers_x

Vickers_x New Member

I'm not sure how old the boiler is but I do think it gives off some heat - my reason for painting the cupboard is because when the boiler is on the door won't stay closed which makes me wonder if it's shrinking due to the warmth. I'm hoping painting it will fix the problem. It's in my 9 year old daughters bedroom so becomes a bit of a nuisance for her:rolleyes:

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha cheers Astra but really not needed (but whilst ur down there .... Ops...er.......sorry just kinda slipped out..oh er missus, etc)

I only know cause I recently did the same for a mate of mine and did a little research re gaps and regs from the boiler manufacturer

I think was 200 mm underneath boiler but that was purely for access and servicing

I think the reason is now that they are supposedly so super efficient that all the heat produced goes into heating the water for rads and taps and not wasted by escaping via the boiler casing

Similar scenario with the old filament bulbs and halogen lamps now. Something like 40% or more of used energy is given off as heat when the prime occupation of a lamp is / should be to give out light

Anyway, up you get now and wipe your chin :D

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Eh?

10. Vickers_x

Vickers_x New Member

Which part has confused you?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

My concerns were nothing to do with gaps, distances and boiler manufacturers recommendations, more to the point of safety regarding 'paint fumes' in close proximity to naked flames leading to a possible big flash!

12. Vickers_x

Vickers_x New Member

Ditto!

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Needs punctuation!

When the boiler is on, the door won't stay closed.........

Needs a better door catch, magnetic catch should be fine.

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I may have assumed that the boiler was new and this may not be the case

If you have the instructions, take a look and there should be details on clearances if fitting a surround - would be good to check that these tolerances have been adhered to

If no instructions, take a look online, everything can be found with a Google !

If the door won't stay closed, then that's really down to the guy that built the unit. Hopefully the job finished on good terms so just give the guy and friendly call, explain the problem and I'm sure he will swing by to take a look and rectify the problem

If the manufacturers recommended clearances haven't been followed, then that's a whole other issue which won't be so easily sorted :eek:

Keep us posted please Vickers

15. Vickers_x

Vickers_x New Member

I will have a Google tonight and see if I can find some instructions. I asked him at the time of fitting if he was definitely leaving enough space around the unit and he assured me it was fine, but no harm in checking! If painting doesn't fix it I will give him a message, I'm sure he won't mind coming out to sort it. I've uploaded a picture just to show the space around the boiler. Thank you everyone for your help!

Attached Files:

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looks a nice cupboard, maybe the existing door catch just needs adjusting. :)

Vickers_x likes this.
  17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The part where you think paint will cure the problems you describe.

18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

A better catch will cure that problem.

Vickers_x likes this.
  19. Vickers_x

Vickers_x New Member

Sorry, I'm not clued up on DIY, That's why I came here, I usually leave that kind of thing for the men in the family!

Astramax likes this.
  20. Don't worry, Vickers. It's normal to get 20 replies to a simple question on here :rolleyes:

Wait - that was only 19.

Ok, then - here's another :oops:

Use whatever paint you want to get the finish you want - matt or satin. But best keep it water-based ('quick-drying') for ease of use and lack of smell.

If you want a matt finish - like your walls - then simply apply matt emulsion. That'll go straight on the MDF with nothing extra required.

If you want a slight sheen, then 'satinwood' is best. This will need a primer such as quick-drying timber or even MDF primer. (You could possibly even get away with using matt emulsion as a primer, but I didn't say that...)

Nice cupboard, indeed.

As said above, tho', I doubt it'll sort your 'opening' issue. That's down to poltergeists, but best not tell your daughter that - they can be a bit funny about that sort of spooky stuff.

Fortunately, a 'tweak' to the catch - or even a stronger replacement - will beat them.

Anyhoo, if you don't already have one in there, I'd also be inclined to fit a CO detector. To be sure to be sure :)