Boiler cuts out

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Paul Maine, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Paul Maine

Paul Maine New Member

right, here we go, I have a 30 year old emi boiler , the pilot light will happily stay alight all day and night until , the boiler goes into action, it's set on low and will pretty much keep going until the house has warmed up, But when it stops burning / takes a break the boiler will make a click like sound and the pilot will go out, now it's NOT the thermocouple , it's not a pumping issue either I'm sure, and it's not overheating , anything else you can suggest that I can change please, I can't afford a new one , Thankyou in advance , paul

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Im going to be brutally honest Paul. A 30 year old boiler is not worth spending a single penny on.
    Do you drive a 30 year old car?
    If the answer is no then why the hell have you let your boiler reach that sort of age?
    The average age of a boiler is 15 years, what you have is a miracle and its probably costing you a fortune to run, let alone a primitive system.
    From the symptoms you describe I would sugest its the gas valve at fault but I doubt if you will find one especially if its the old red and white button one.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Dave does Gas likes this.
  4. Paul Maine

Paul Maine New Member

Can I still buy the same type of boiler to replace the old ? And leave everything else in place ,

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't do gas, but Thorn EMI long gone, Dave is the expert who can answer that question as what to replace it with.:)

6. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Plenty of reasonable quality boilers out there to replace it with, but I doubt that any will go anywhere near 30 years.
    Thorn boilers no longer available.

As to what to replace it with:

Vaillant / Glowworm much the same boiler these days, get an installer registered with them and you can access a 10 year warranty.

Ideal Logics, a nice little boiler but in my experience prone to reliability problems. They had a big problem with split h/x (would never admit it) which seems to have passed now, but I've had a few now with the plastic sump splitting and leaking :( all been fixed under warranty but that is not really the point. 7 year warranties.

Veissmann look really good. 5 year warranties.

Whatever installer you use will have his favourite so go with that. But I'd fit a Glowworm these days, same h/x as the Vaillant, long warranty, £200 cheaper.

7. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi,
    The Glow-worm have changed their heat exchanger to... wait for it... aluminium!
    You know, the stuff that sort of rust, crumble away, and when you try to get a bolt out, it snaps off?

We are approved Glow-worm and vailliant installers, but I have told our Rep, we won't be installing them

Regards
    Peter

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You will almost certainly have to have your system upgraded to fully pumped as part of the process, I would probably recomend that you replace your cylinder to a modern high recovery one as I can only assume your cylinder is of a similar age as the boiler.
    Just by this process you will start to save money as you will have greater cointrol over your heating and hot water.
    You may also want to consider replacing your old style radiators with modern compacts. These again are more efficent than the old style lumps we used to hang particularly if you add thermostatic controls.

9. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

You're right of course and we are a bit concerned about the aluminium change on Vaillant and Glowworm as well.
    But almost all the manufacturers use Al now so what will you be fitting. I think that Veissmann are the only ones doing a heat only Stainless h/x.
    Apparently the Aluminium is a high spec silicon Al (??) and we'll have to watch the pH level of the circulating water.

10. Paul Maine

Paul Maine New Member

I've found a high limit stat on eBay £10 so I'm gonna try that 1st, there's also a gas valve on there, will try that next (I know a plumber that can fit that for me) I've found where the pump stat lives, whereabouts is the high limit stat live, thanks for your help and time, happy new year to you,

PS my boiler is used very little, heating only on low and should last another 5 years if I can fix it , IF lol

11. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

And the same to you Paul.

We can learn a lot from East Europeans in that in times of economical difficulties that there is no need to throw away things that can easily be repaired just because they are not to current standards.

Old fashioned gas boilers will just keep on going on and on and on and to be honest I've personally found that the savings in fuel are greatly exaggerated by the makers of HE boilers.

Paul Maine likes this.
  12. Paul Maine

Paul Maine New Member

Right before anyone says I would have done that or would have checked it first, the boiler works, a mixture of luck and serendipity I must say although much the same thing I guess, let me tell you what happened, I think I must have busted the electronic sparky thing at some point (I guess they get old and brittle) a bit like me)), so on replacing it, (dam hard work, the screws where seized in, there was a lot on banging, drilling and swearing), during the coarse of this I was concencious that I may have blocked the pilot light port thingy whilst man handling it, so I poked it through with a pin, (lovely pilot light flame now I must say although a little larger than normal) , and hey presto when chucking it all back together it WORKS, lol, so my conclusion was the pilot wasn't strong enough to maintain the the correct functioning of the gas valve, story over, many thanks for all your help, hopefully won't speak to soon, no offence intended,