Boiler fitted by unregistered guy. What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mr Lahey, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Mr Lahey, what is your actual concern here? Is it that you are worried the 'Gas Police' will break down your door, or that your warranty is void? If so, then chill - it'll be ok, and your twit of a 'friend' will sort it at some point, I'm sure. In fact your warranty will have a later start date so will last longer...

However, if it's that you need proof that it is a safe installation before being able to relax in your own home, then you need to take further action. Are you currently using the boiler, and it makes you feel uncomfortable from a safety pint of view?

Surely this family 'friend' is contactable, say by email? In which case try stating your case as you being really concerned it hasn't been checked and passed by a GasSafe so you only allow the boiler to be run for very short periods at a time and only when it's really needed; with the weather becoming more cold, it's really making life very unpleasant for the family. You feel responsible for your family to not allow it to be used 'normally' until it's been checked and 'made legal'. Add that you've even had quotes for having it commissioned by a separate GasSafe and find this will cost you - what? - £200 to £300? Finish by saying to you need an answer from the guy RIGHT AWAY or you'll have no option but to fork out this extra money and you'll be really disappointed in him if you have to do that.

Make it clear to him these are the only two options that you can handle; he sorts it as he promised, or you have to dig deep into your own pocket to get it done instead.

IF this guy is truly a family friend/ relative, he will realise that he needs to arrange to have it sorted asap.

If he replies with a dismissive "Use it - it'll be fine", then reply with a clear "Sorry - I won't take that risk with my family - if anything goes wrong, I'll be responsible for it. So I'll chust have to pay for someone to commission it."

If he doesn't act on this, then at least you know the measure of the guy. Get someone else to check and commission the boiler as it should be and pay for it. Take the financial hit on the chin and put it down to a stupid move employing this unregistered guy.

You could sue him for the cost quite easily, but I suspect you have no intention of doing that. That's fine and your call - you are being more decent to this guy (and family relations) than he is to you. You will obviously never use him again for work and I imagine would also give him a wide berth when you next meet.

'Cos he's an a***.

And a hole.

2. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

The text is highly meaningful. It is the basics. Why would I want to contact a privately owned semi-interest group? It is the law that matters, not an outfit, like Capita, who has the registration contract.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  3. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Mr Lehay, get the manufacturer to "service" the boiler. Do not tell him it is new, in fact tell him nothing. Also get a Housholder's certitficate. Then send off the warrantee document, the service receipt, any documents relating to the service receipt, and a copy of the Householder's certificate. You are then covered 100%. Get the Householder's certificate first.

One thing that it may fail on is that a hob needs an isolation tap under the worktop. If one is not there fit a compression tap available from s/fix. They are easy to fit. Use jointing paste on the olive (ring).

Copy all documents and receipts.

4. Unless the regs have changed over the past - ooh - 4 years, then I understand it is as Walt says. It certainly used to be, and was when I fitted my own boiler 10 years back.

It's pretty clear what 'competent' means - the installation was carried out to the required standards, and tested & commissioned properly.

In addition, anyone carrying out installations as a profession must also be GasSafe reg'd.

So, go ahead, fit your boiler everyone. But if you get it wrong, you should be well and truly kebabed.

Walt Systems likes this.
  5. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

6. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

He would not be COMPETENT. That is easy to figure out.

7. meady

meady Member

No it's not

8. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

BZZZZZZZZZZZ WRONG!
    Gas Safe are not the law, they are a registration company. They, Capita a private company who run a string of bailiffs, got the contract to register the gasmen.
    Yes Gas Safe, a semi-self interest organisation, recommend. Anyone can do the same. I can contact H&S as well and give the same recommendations.
    Correct at last.

Here it is again just for you......

Competency is what you DO. The result. Not a prior pieces of paper.
    The laws states that all who do gas work must firstly be COMPETENT. Then it splits into two:
    1. Those who do gas work for gain (usually money).
      These need to be a part of a registration scheme - which is now an organisation called GasSafe. The registration organisation is only concerned about its own members, no one else.
    2. Those who do gas work for no gain.
      Need not be a part of a registration scheme.
    Competency is what you DO. The result.
    That is it. Simple.

9. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

My word! Of course he is not competent he blew the house up. What sort of people do we have here!

10. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Mr Devil, you are 100% CORRECT. It is sad isn't it. The average person reading this would conclude that most gasmen, and men who work with wood, are thick.

The law has not changed and it will not. H&S see no problem in the law as the safety record in the UK is excellent. HMG will not spend a lot of time and millions to change a law where there is no need to change the law. H&S's main concern is unregistered operatives (those who make money from gas installations).

The same applies to electrical installations. Do not expect changes. Part P applies only to residential electrical fitting. Anyone off the street can do commercial electrical fitting.

11. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

A boiler is an appliance

If the installer is not available then this is the best approach:
    1. Get a Householder's Certificate to prove the whole installation in the house is up to current standards. About £50. Keep quiet to the man. Saying nothing, you do not tell lies.
    2. Get the manufacturers to service the boiler. Keep quiet to the man. Saying nothing, you do not tell lies.
    3. Send to the manufacturers the service documents, Householder's Certificate and warranty documents. On the benchmark side write, "see <insert manufacturer's name> service documents attached".
    4. Keep copies of all documents.
    You now have proof that the installation is up to standards and the boiler was fitted properly, and even the makers has said so by servicing the combi and not bringing up any problems.

A boiler is a consumer product and comes under the same laws as buying a washing machine, tumble dryer, microwave, etc.

If you have to claim under warrantee you are fully clear. How do I know? I was having a drink with solicitor friend last night and I mentioned this. I gave this solution and he said "the makers would have to honour the warrantee as there is solid proof the boiler was fitted correctly". He said all the maker needs to know if the appliance was fitted correctly. He said Gas Safe is meaningless in the overall issue of warrantee, as the manufacturers only need proof the appliance was fitted correctly - the failed part was not brought about by faulty installation.

He added, "if the makers refuse to honour the warrantee, it is best to send them copies of the documents again, and tell them that there is 100% proof the appliance was fitted correctly, and even their own servicemen worked on the appliance and found no fault (the serviceman tests the flue gasses, pressures, etc), and if they do not honour the warrantee you will take legal action. He said they will be around first light the next morning. If they still refuse, then inform them you will have a third party to fix the appliance and bill them. No need for many estimates if the house has no heat or hot water. If they still refuse to pay the bill take them to court for a clear win. He doubted it would go to the point of a court hearing.

He said in reality once they have proof the appliance was fitted correctly they will honour the warranty - the proof of manufacturers service and Householder's certificate.

12. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Oh Walter, you do persist with your drivel.

"The laws states that all who do gas work must firstly be COMPETENT".
    Correct, but how do you measure competency?

The LAW says by being accepted onto the GSR. And to achieve that you have to pass exams, submit portfolio's of info, get inspected (not very regularly to be fair) etc, etc. You've been asked by me and Mr Meady to provide your evidence but never do because you cannot. :oops:

This is a plumbers forum, people come on to ask questions and get informed replies by hopefully competent members. You are clearly not qualified in our field so should not post your replies without making clear that you are a diyer and have never as much changed a tap washer let alone put an Intergas boiler upo_O

So do run along and find something useful to do - does your budgie not need its morning fly now, remember to shut the windows :D

13. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

100% CORRECT!
    By what you do, the result.

Here it is again just for you......

Competency is what you DO. The result. Not a prior pieces of paper.
    The laws states that all who do gas work must firstly be COMPETENT. Then it splits into two:
    1. Those who do gas work for gain (usually money).
      These need to be a part of a registration scheme - which is now an organisation called GasSafe. The registration organisation is only concerned about its own members, no one else.
    2. Those who do gas work for no gain.
      Need not be a part of a registration scheme.
    Competency is what you DO. The result.
    That is it. Simple.
    And they got that from me. Now find out the LAW. I gave you it above.

14. Peeps, I'm pretty sure Walt is correct here - so pleeeeeze stop 'cos this isn't helping Mr Lahey at all :oops:. And Walt will continue to fill the pages with his cut an' paste :rolleyes:

Taken to its logical conclusion, a piece of paper or a qualification or a GasSafe badge does not prove or measure 'competence'. Because if a qualified GasSafe operator, complete with badge and cert, carries out a dodgy installation, then clearly he is incompetent regardless of his qualifications.

Ergo - 'qualifications' do not ensure 'competence'.

Only a competent install proves competence :).

Anyways, I think Mr Lahey has been given enough proper options now. It's up to him.

Walt Systems likes this.
  15. meady

meady Member

Don't you stick up for him, he hasn't even linked where he's apparently got this info from unlike other people on here, just cut and paste sections from somewhere.

16. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

It is amazing how many can't understand the definition of COMPETENCE.

17. I'm not 'sticking up' for him, Meady.

I am agreeing with him because I understand it is the case.

If he's right, he's right.

Walt Systems likes this.
  18. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

19. Mr Lahey

Mr Lahey New Member

He honestly is my partner's cousin.
    And I know he did it in good faith with the intent to have it signed off but he was busy sorting his move to the other side of the world and working away in the UK for the last month and obviously hadn't gotten round to it.
    We have made contact at least with the person who is meant to be signing it off - I just hope he sticks to his word and can do it within the next couple of weeks.
    My partner has said she'd go back to her cousin in no uncertain terms if this doesn't happen but I just wanted to know what to do if it gets to that point where we are stuck with a boiler that hasn't been commissioned.

Who would we ring up and say 'ok, sorry we * up but we need a boiler checking and commissioning please'?'

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
  20. meady

meady Member

I'll send you a message with some advice as I can't be bothered to do it on here :)