Boiler fitted by unregistered guy. What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mr Lahey, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

I do know the law. Did you get a C&G in woodwork?

2. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

in
    Gas Safe weasel words - "unacceptable". It is not illegal. This not a Gas Safe problem, it falls with H&S.

It is best to he does what is recommended in pots 71. All is covered and his relative is not implicated.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  3. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

He was conned thinking the man was Gas Safe registered. He never went to an unapproved installer in his mind. Now, as you mentioned, all he needs to do is be responsible and ensure that the installation is safe. A Householder's certificate for £50 will do that. The law will back him up. The makers only want to know if it is installed properly. They care not a jot about Gas Safe, etc, as boilers can be fitted legally by non registered people.

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Utter rubbish I'm afraid.
    The boiler manufacturer needs to know it has been installed by a competent person (Walter will agree) however, the definition of a competent person in this case is someone who is GSR. Walter cannot get his head round that one unfortunately.
    Period, that's it - sorry if you don't like it but that is actually the law.
    So stop trying to mislead people on the site please Walter. You are irresponsible:oops:

Mr L, if you don't want to shop your relation then do not involve gas safe.
    Find a local gsr guy who will re-commission it for you and sign it off, expect to pay for about a days labour.
    But as others have said we are encouraged not to sign off others work so it maybe an issue finding someone to do it. But if the local guy finds a problem then he should report it, whether he would or not is up to him.

You should report your relation, as I said before he has done illegal gas work and is probably doing it again right now! He is potentially putting lives at risk.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Sitting on the outside looking in, I have read the gas safe and government papers on this, both state that a non registered fitter can't fit a boiler or gas cooker that produces heat, on a residential property, now how would you go about registering the boiler with the manufacture, if it was fitted in a commercial premises, where you don't have to be gas safe registered.

Walt Systems likes this.
  6. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Phil, residential and commercial fitting by men going it for gain have to be Gas Safe registered. IN electrical installations, Part P only applies to residential. You can be a commercial electrician tomorrow without qualifications, as long as the work you produce is competent.

If a man not doing the installation for gain fits the boiler and is not Gas Safe registered, send off the guarantee as usual and do not fill in the Gas Safe part as it is not applicable.

7. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Nonsense as usual. They need to know the boiler was fitted correctly. They care not who fits it.

8. stu1312

stu1312 Member

9. meady

meady Member

Walt can you please put a link up to a website and not just some cut and paste bull carp where you are getting this fountain of knowledge from.

stu1312 likes this.
  10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

11. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Of course you do pal, your a effing genius.

The law
    Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
    The general duties of the Act cover work on gas fittings in factories, mines, quarries, agricultural premises, construction site huts, sewage works and gas-fitting testing premises.

In these premises, work on gas fittings must be carried out by a competent person. If any part of these premises are used as domestic, residential or sleeping accommodation, work on gas fittings must be carried out by someone on the Gas Safe Register.

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
    These Regulations cover work on gas fittings, both natural and LPG in other premises, eg domestic properties, shops, restaurants, schools and hospitals. In these premises the work on gas fittings must be carried out by someone on the Gas Safe Register.

You can apologise any time you like.

12. meady

meady Member

I've posted the link with that info in it Dave but he seems to have ignored it.

Dave does Gas likes this.
  13. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

If all the respective bodies including boiler manufacturers mean only Gas safe registered bods are competent why don't they say exactly that and only refer to such persons. It is their use of the word competent (which would not then appear) which leads to all this discussion and different interpretations.

14. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

I agree with you, the use of the word competent does indeed cause confusion. To be deemed competent we have to be reassessed every five years in the elements we wish to work in this is called ACS, without this we cannot go on the gas safe register. This is where the confusion lies, just because anyone can buy a boiler and stick it on the wall connect a few pipes and turn it one does not make them competent in the eyes of the law. You have to have the qualifications.

15. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Tell ya what Walter, if your car fails it's MOT on the emissions test, it's beyond acceptable limits,, therefore "unacceptable" ? Take it out on the road without it's MOT, you'll find "unacceptable" suddenly becomes "illegal"

Same with a boiler fitted by someone not GS registered. Should anything go wrong and someone suffers from CO poisoning or worse still there's an explosion (and this could be months after the installation) I think you'll find someone in court (the word competent won't be mentioned in any prosecution, but the words illegally installing because they were not GS registered will be)

16. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

what is Law?
    the law says you cannot drive without a licence,
    the law says you cannot own a gun with a licence,
    if you break iether of those laws the police will arrest,

if you fit a boiler without being gassafe registered the police won't bother you,

therefore the law about gassafe is not the same laws that gasesafe members want you to think it is,

17. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I take your point JJ, but its also true that if you're driving legally and knock someone over, youre liable to go to jail , just the same as a gasesafe member is if he poisions of blows someone up.

18. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

From the H&S site. This section is related to Landlords:

"I used to be a gas fitter - can I do the check myself?
    No, the checks must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer."​

The above is in relation to the Householder's certificate check (which has changed its name).

"Can I use a non-registered engineer to fit an appliance and have it checked by the Gas Safe registered engineer?
    No, a Gas Safe registered engineer must fit and check a gas appliance."​

The above is in relation to work performed for gain (usually money).

"Can I use a plumber to install the appliance and then have the gas work fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer?
    A non-registered person may carry out ‘wet work’, ie install water pipes and radiators for a heating system, but any work on the gas boiler itself and the final connection of the water pipework to the boiler, must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer."

The water side of a person doing work for gain can be done.

This still does change matters.

Here it is again just for you......

Competency is what you DO. The result. Not a prior pieces of paper.
    The laws states that all who do gas work must firstly be COMPETENT. Then it splits into two:
    1. Those who do gas work for gain (usually money).
      These need to be a part of a registration scheme - which is now an organisation called GasSafe. The registration organisation is only concerned about its own members, no one else.
    2. Those who do gas work for no gain.
      Need not be a part of a registration scheme.
    Competency is what you DO. The result.
    That is it. Simple.

19. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

This is relating to people working for gain (money).

"Who is competent to work on gas fittings?
    Domestic properties, schools etc
    In domestic properties and workplaces such as shops, restaurants, schools and hospitals, this must be carried out by someone on the Gas Safe Register who is qualified to work on gas appliances.
    It is illegal for an unregistered person to carry out work on any domestic gas appliance. You can check this by contacting the
    Gas Safe Register."

The above is relating to working for gain.

20. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

The prime point is that you have to be COMPETENT. That's is what you do - the result of your work.