Boiler hot water problems

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by myles wilcock, May 25, 2016.

1. myles wilcock

myles wilcock New Member

Wonder whether anybody has any information that can help. Have a worcester 24i combi boiler fitted and had problems with it clicking and the hot water going hot and cold, just had the pcb replaced yesterday and seemed to fix the clicking and the boiler started straight away and hot water was fine. But today after a shower the water went cold and boiler wouldn't fire until i tapped on the reset button on top of the boiler, which hadn't popped up but just if i tap it it gets it working again. The water when works seems to be really hot and I'm just wondering whether it overheating that's why it's switching off and then won't fire and how to fix it?

Thanks

2. If the overheat 'stat hasn't actually tripped - popped up - then I guess it hasn't actually overheated. So it could be as simple as a faulty overheat 'stat.

When was the boiler fitted?

Was you system cleaned?

A symptom of overheating and fluctuating DHW is a blocked exchanger.

Not saying it's that, of course.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Maybe be HW heat exchanger scaled up?

4. Yeah - someone else got there before you... :rolleyes:

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Joint 1st...:p

And new HW exchanger isn't cheap.:eek:

6. myles wilcock

myles wilcock New Member

As far as i know its not been cleaned the boiler is as old as the house which is 11 years roughly, just weird that if i tap the top where the button is it starts to work again

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hard water area?

After 11 years I expect the HW exchanger is well scaled up, as is the central heating system.

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If as you say you have had the PCB replaced recently and all you have to do is tap the boiler to get it going I would sugest that you have a lose conection on the board. Your installer has left somethin not quite pushed home correctly.
    You need to get the people who repaired it back as its not quite repaired yet.

Ignore all the scale people they always take this route as it an easy answer.;)

9. Rig up a device that constantly taps that button.

Or get the bar steward replaced...

Actually, is it a clip-on type? If so, it's an easy DIY task.

10. OOoooohhh - look at you! :rolleyes:

(Good point, tho'... :oops:)

Dave does Gas likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Replace it with Valliant, hate WB.:eek:

Dave does Gas likes this.
  12. Pfffft - always take the expensive route...

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

But, it's quailty & reliability.:p

And easier to work on for servicing than WB.:p

P:S: My Valliant 824 is 10 years old, has never broken down, only part it's had was a HW heat exchanger, fitted two months ago,& a pump (engineer dropped old one:oops:)not bad for a hard water area & 10 years of use.:)

Last edited: May 25, 2016