Boiler leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIY Dummy, Sep 17, 2017.

1. DIY Dummy

DIY Dummy New Member

Hi
    Any ideas gratefully received, I had plumbing work completed and new radiators installed now have a leak on the boiler?
    The boiler is an Ideal Logic 24.
    Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Call them back!

3. DIY Dummy

DIY Dummy New Member

Thank you, yes the call has been made, I was concerned that the work could have affected the boiler.... I'm sure they'll confirm tomorrow that it was merely a faulty boiler?

4. What do you mean by a leak on your boiler? Is there visible water coming out, or is it a drop in system pressure.

Anyhoo, let#s see what tomorrow brings.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Hopefully world peace...and a less leaky boiler! :D

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. DIY Dummy

DIY Dummy New Member

Good morning
    Thank you for your response, I had bled the radiators and the water dripping from the boiler casing has resulted in just a teaspoon now (previously lost approx a pint). I'm hoping it to be a buildup of pressure but am unable to see the gage (not visable behind removed faceplate).
    Just hoping it's not as serious as thought...

Thank you, I'll see how today goes...

7. Oh, so an actual physical leak from the boiler itself? Blimey.

That would seem to be associated with the work done - almost too much of a coincidence - but obviously we don't know.

Very strange that you cannot see the pressure gauge - that should always be obvious! What 'faceplate' was removed, and why isn't the gauge there? Is it an analogue gauge with a needle, or is it digital?

Anyhoo, if the boiler has reduced its leaking after you bled the rads, it would hopefully suggest that it was simply down to too much system pressure - forcing the PRV to open - coupled with a poor pipe connection on the discharge pipe.

But that's pure guesswork.

If your PRV has been opened by excess pressure, then very good chance it won't shut properly again and will always drip - in which case it'll need replacing, a fairly cheap and easy job.

8. DIY Dummy

DIY Dummy New Member

Thank you, appreciate your guess work... nice to throw some ideas about.
    Had concluded when the boiler literally exploded overnight with a pool of water it was beyond repair, assumed the pressure had caused it and was totally cracked requiring total replacement.
    Googled to understand the pressure prob, was able to remove faceplate (revealing nowt) but main case screw had been threaded and was unable to remove it so just bled rads and measured reduction in leak.

Toyed with the idea of getting BG to do a boiler service and was greeted by numerous threads of them aparently condemning boilers for new business!?

Will consider pricing to have whole system checked by a *professional prior to to paying final installment...I've just diagnosed and resolved a shower pump problem too that had been created!

Lol, will review Urban Dictionary prior to assuming expectations of my next *Professional....

PRV... so now I'm understanding my rusty water leak!

Huge thanks for your input, much appreciated!

9. Assuming you are reasonably happy with the plumbers you had out before, call them back to identify the leak source.

Is yours a high-efficiency boiler? If so, a burst exchanger would usually leak out via the plastic condensate pipe.

Anyhoo, complete guesswork at the moment, so you really need someone out to have a look.

I still don't know what you mean by not being able to see the pressure gauge - is your system a 'sealed' one, or do you have a header tank up in the loft?

10. DIY Dummy

DIY Dummy New Member

Thank you for the additional input...

The Bathroom Fitter that completed the work was a recommendation through a Building Co.
    The chap's work was most conscientious although his plumbing knowledge is now in great question.

I believe he will be accepting of our conversation today as previous problems had been brought up and not been rectified. He had left me believing issues were a separate problem and not due to work he'd completed.
    The Boiler problem now just emphasises lack of experience.

I can only hold my corner in that I,
    with no professional experience was able to Google some resolve to the problems that were a result of his work.

The boiler could have been and might well still be an expensive disaster, another lesson to be learnt.

I think best to engage with a separate company for a thorough check.

The face plate was a 'dummy' so maybe it could be considered to be sealed (there is an additional panel that I am unable to remove due to the broken screw).

There are tanks in the loft?

Am I right in thinking that the system isn't leaking when it's expanded and hot, seems to be slightly leaking now its cold?

Thank you again....

11. If there are two tanks in the loft, and if your boiler does not have a very visible pressure gauge, then it is almost certainly a 'conventional' or 'heat only' boiler (not a combi and not 'system')

I'm also guessing it's oldish and isn't 'High Efficiency' (doesn't have a white plastic 22mm condensate pipe coming from it and heading outside to a drain?)

In this case it's far less likely to be something serious - ie not the main exchanger or similar. Fair chance it's a leaking connector or something like that.

Since the next plumber will be looking at the actual boiler and not the rads or pipework, then please ensure he/she's GasSafe (good chance the other guy wasn't, which is ok for rads etc.)

12. DIY Dummy

DIY Dummy New Member

Yes a mature addition but less than 8 years old and although there is no external pipe just a flue there is a 22 mm pipe going down into boxing that will lead to a drain....

Oh, so I won't celebrate a lucky escape just yet then...

Yes, will search specifically for a Gas Safe engineer to check the work.

Thank you for your noted time and valuable input, appreciate your great sense of Community!
    :)