boiler loosing pressure

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Molliecollie, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Molliecollie

Molliecollie New Member

I put a post up here, and want to thank you all who responded, especially DA, my heat exchanger has now been replaced by worcester bosh, I have another question, my friend in work is having problems with her oil boiler, it is loosing pressure, and has to be topped up several times a week, a plumber told her it's because her rads are on 3 levels? Would this be true? The boiler is a premierflow

2. 1) Excellent result on your boiler - very pleased :)

2) Oil boiler - haven't a clue... :(

(PS - did you have to pay W-B anything - labour charge, for example?)

Molliecollie likes this.
  3. Molliecollie

Molliecollie New Member

4. Molliecollie

Molliecollie New Member

Hi DA, WB asked for my debit card details, and said there would be a Labour charge, think it was £229, but not sure as yet as it hasn't gone out of account yet, but can let you know. I thought it was a bit steep, I got paperwork out and boiler was just fitted 19th March 2010, so I thought it should be in warranty?

5. Hmmm - that's steep all right.

How long did it take?

And check your paperwork very carefully...

6. Molliecollie

Molliecollie New Member

7. Molliecollie

Molliecollie New Member

They were there 2 hours, I had to go back to work and leave them there, so I don't even know if they replaced anything? Also, they left no paperwork

8. Molliecollie

Molliecollie New Member

The only paperwork was my receipt of boiler fitting work, which I showed to them

9. Can you remind me - have you had the boiler serviced every year?

Looking at W-B's warranty conditions, these obviously have a number T&Cs, the above being just one.

I guess if the exchanger was replaced (and it must have been) and it only costs you £229-ish, then that's a good deal.

BUT, it really shouldn't cost you a penny. These aren't W-B's terms, are they; "hey, we'll supply the expensive part and you only need to pay labour". The bottom line, of course, is - that part should not have failed within 5 (or even 10) years, so now that it has, they should simply replace it FOC - end of.

When you think about it, it doesn't actually make much rational sense that the customer should have to pay for 'labour'. I mean, why should they?! It's either warranted or it isn't. I see no "Let's go Dutch on this one" term anywhere, and it wouldn't make sense if there was one.

How can they reasonably say "Our boilers are soooo good we'll warrant it for X number of years, but if it doesn't last - let's split the repair bill"? They can't. It's nuts.

I know that I would sue them if it were me. Either Small Claims County Court or MoneyClaim.gov.

Bunch of shysters... :rolleyes:

Molliecollie likes this.
  10. Molliecollie

Molliecollie New Member

Thank you DA, you have been really very helpful to me, I will see what the bill is when it comes in, and yes, I have had it serviced every year since new, and I will take your advice and take it to small claims if necessary, as you said we were sold it as 10 years guaranteed, much appreciated, Joanne

11. Keep us posted, Joanne.

Very good chance that, if they do try it on and you tackle them on the unfairness, they will put their hands up.

If not, we'll get a set of thumb screws from our hosts...

Molliecollie likes this.
  12. Chris P London

Chris P London New Member

With regards to your friends boiler losing pressure , I had a similar problem just a month ago. My 4 year old boiler kept switching off because the pressure had drop below 0.5 bar over night, I kept topping it up using the feed loop but next day it would had dropped again to below 0.5Bar and stopped working again. I read loads of threads on Net , all indicating that I must have a leak in the system pipework , and that you should lift the floorboards to inspect all the pipework . This was not the news I wanted to hear , serious disruption and work. I knew that no works had happened in house to have disturbed any pipework, so I really did not feel that I had a leak on my pipes. Anyway , once the engineer arrived it was found to be a faulty Expansion Vessel within the boiler itself , he replaced it and the system all works fine , apparently a very common issue. So do not waste and effort checking all the pipe work , when it could be something within the Boiler itself that the issue. Hope this helps.

13. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Chris you do not need to lift your floorboards to check if the system has leaks, there is a simple foolproof method to test this.
    Pressurise the system to 1.5 bar, then isolate the flow and return using the boilers isolation valve. leave it alone for 24 to 48 hours. You cant use the heating for this test so best done in summer months.
    After the 24 / 48 hours check the gauge, if its still at 1.5 bar great, if not the fault is on the boiler.
    open up the flow and retun iso valves if the pressure drops instantly then im afraid its floorboard lifting time but you will know for certain that it is on the system and not the boiler.

Jitender likes this.
  14. Molliecollie

Molliecollie New Member

DA, Happy news, when I got my bank statement WB has only taken £126 out of my account for Labour, the parts were replaced free, Joanne