Boiler losing pressure....

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PJ Wales, Apr 17, 2014.

1. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

Hi,

Today I has notices slow flow in my hot water systems and saw that my boiler was in the red under 1 bar. However I am puzzled as to how the boiler could lose pressure so quick over time I mean this is a brand new boiler installed maybe 2 weeks ago after having a new bathroom installed.

I know overtime it do lose pressure especially when using central heating, however not used the heating as much apart from re-pressurising the boiler and bleeding the rads etc and me working out how to use the new Drayton RF Digistat + Digistat thermostat.

But the heating has been off yet losing pressure, does this indicate I have a slow leak somewhere in the pipes but no leak is showing? Surely after 2 weeks pressure wouldn't drop this much this quick?

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yes it seems you have a small leak, look round the radiators, its quite common for the gland nut on the radiator valves to weep and you wont see the leak cos it drys up quick,

3. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

thanks for that tom as I has suspected for few years, but my housing wouldn't listen. The gland nut that those nuts at the top of the radiators for both bleed and non bleed nut?

What is the best way to know which one is leaking? Cos if you say it dries up quickly then it be hard to determine unless I catch it when it is weeping.

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

its on the valves at each side watch this video to give you an idea

5. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

Ahhh that one okies, then I shall take a look at each one in time till I find the offending one. The tape he used is PTFE tape right?

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Get your installer back in any installer worth his salt should investigate this problem, If it a fault on the existing system he would be within his rights to charge you for the visit and rectification but if it his fault he covers the cost, at least thats the way I work.

7. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

Dave, I think this was an issue that been going on for yrs, I been making mention I keep losing pressure as well as requesting for new boiler (I rent from a housing association) and my request fallen on deaf ears. However recently they installed a new bathroom and has major issue with hot water flow and it was decided to have a new boiler and this was installed like 2 weeks ago.

So I can ask them about it but chances are it falls on deaf ears, so shall speak to them and speak to the guy whom installed the boiler and see what he says, but chances are I may end up doing it myself. It is not the fault of the installer but an existing problem long before the new boiler.