Boiler not commissioned and thus not getting the warranty

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by cupcake, Jun 16, 2014.

1. cupcake

cupcake New Member

I am in a fix as my builder has done a runner and not being contactable.
    Was left with a boiler that is not wired to the thermostat and not commissioned.
    As such I can't get the warranty that was due to me as the boiler is not commissioned.
    Anyone had such an experienced and how do I go about getting the boiler commissioned?
    It is actually the warranty that I am after.
    Any advice appreciated.

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

not much else you can do other than to contact a suitably qualified person to do the commissioning and once he is happy with the entire installation, sign the passport/certificate - if the original installer wasn't suitably qualified or registered you might be opening a small can of worms

3. cupcake

cupcake New Member

Any indication of how much to get it commissioned ? After the experience of being ripped off by a cowboy, I thought I would wise up and ask around.

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it rather depends what (if anything) else they have to do other than the commissioning - just get a few folks to give you a quote, and prepare for some to say they aren't interested

cupcake likes this.
  5. Hi Cupcake :)))

'Gas-Safes' are naturally reluctant to commission someone else's work because in theory they'd have to check everything so's as not to leave themselves liable. So don't be too surprised if some say "Not a chance, matey..." especially if they suspect you've done the install yourself and are just wanting them to 'sign it off'. So get ready for a bit of pleading...

Sounds as tho' you may need a sparky too, unless your chosen plumber is multi-talented...

Price? Call out a couple and see what they say...

cupcake likes this.
  6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

do you still have all of the documentation that came with the boiler ?

7. cupcake

cupcake New Member

Yes, I have the installation manuals and the documents for the registration.

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

cupcake, the seiral number on the boiler is your warrantee with the manufacturer, with all the bumf that comes with the boiler there is a guarantee registration form, date sign and send it, you'll be suprised how little complicated it is, many folks on here and other furoms will try to tell you , oh you need this,that and the other, the gassafe suckers will have you believe you need THEM, but you dont, lick it and stick it send it, ;)

they sold you the boiler, they HAVE to honour the warrantee cos it does not say " only gassafe suckers can buy this boiler"

cupcake likes this.
  9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

right, thats lit the fuse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

FatHands likes this.
  10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

:D

11. cupcake

cupcake New Member

Thanks. I have never thought of that. The card is still with me and I will send it off and see what the manufacturers say.
    Much appreciated guys m.

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if all you want is to have the boiler accepted by the manufacturer for warranty then I suppose you could try faking the required information and sending in the card

if however you are concerned that your boiler hasn't actually been installed correctly, or safely - then perhaps it might be a slightly better idea to actually get it properly tested and commissioned, and then send in the card once the installer has completed their works - if a fault develops, and you try and claim for it's repair under warranty, only to find out the installation is not in compliance with the manufacturers instructions, the warranty will be void and of zero value to you

just a thought .....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    cupcake likes this.
  13. Many companies give an extended warranty - if the boiler has been fitted by one of their approved installers.

Cupcake, your plumber hasn't wired in a room stat - an essential component of a 'compliant' installation, I believe. So, if he's missed this out, are you sure he's done everything else? Such as fully connect and test the flue? Check gas pressure at t'boiler? And stuff.

If this situation is really as you say, you'd be nuts not to get someone in to check and sign-off the work. You mention 'builder' in your OP - does that mean you are having a fair bit of work done to your house? If so, will another couple of hundred really hurt?

I'd go further - I reckon that warranty as it stands is worthless. Any claim made under it would elicit from the manufacturers a request for the benchmark doc (is that what it's called?), name and GasSafe number of the installer, etc etc etc. And I think they'd be both legally and morally within their rights to tell you to take a hike if you can't produce this, or if the installation of that boiler has not been properly registered with them.

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

well let me go further.

you can still buy non condencing boilers and fit them in your own homes without breaking any laws, unless you're a gassafe sucker, he can't because it breaks his parole parameters, So are these boiler manufactures 1. just printing useless warrantee cards and knowing it, or 2. they're breaking the sale of goods act by selling a boiler not fit for purpose,
    :confused:

15. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

manufacturers still make a few non condensers simply because it's allowed (within very tight practical constraints) to fit them in situations where it is not practical to fit a condensing boiler - it's got nothing to do with being on the GSR or the Sale of Gods Act or a boilers warranty

16. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Unless the regs have changed, you can fit a non condensing boiler in any home in Scotland.

Some manufacturers may try to cut your warranty down to 12 months if not installed and commissioned by a gas safe registered installer.

17. cupcake

cupcake New Member

I've got a design and builder company who quoted from designing till commissioning but didn't finish till the finishing part of the job.
    He probably tried to fob me off the commissioning part and refused to take my calls after.
    If only I had time to do some parts of the decoration. Would have saved me some money.

18. Fair enough, Tom. I guess that must be the case - you can buy a boiler, shove it in yourself, and it'll come with the minimum manufacturer's warranty.

I bet, tho', that any claim for repairs will be greeted with the proviso that if it was found to be due to incorrect installation or commissioning they won't entertain it - incorrect pressures, a bit of sludge, or whatevs.

Cupcake (really must stop calling you that), surely you held back the final - & substantial - payment to this cove?

19. cupcake

cupcake New Member

No, I didn't stupidly and being too trusting.

20. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

don't worry about that now, you can't change that - just find someone local off the GSR and have them look at it, it's probably all quite safely installed - but better to be safe than sorry ....... linky