Boiler Pressure Issues

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Transatlantic, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Transatlantic

Transatlantic New Member

My Oil Wallstar Combi boiler has been playing up lately, keeps overheating, which requires me to press the limit reset button to get it going again. Having researched this issue online, one of the main causes is low pressure. So I took off the panel to reveal the gauge, and my pressure is indeed too low. It's at 0.6 bar.

I then started looking at how I can repressurise the system, and came across a number of videos all basically showing the same way. Find the filling loop, and turn on the valve until the pressure reads just over 1 bar.

I believe I have located what I think to be the filling loop, and the valve to turn on. But having done so, all that happens is that waters squirts out of the valve and the pressure gauge needle doesn't move? Am I doing it wrong? or is something not right?

I have attached an image showing the valve I was attempting to turn on.

Attached Files:

2. Need a closer look - and chance of close-ups of that valve and also of the underside of the boiler?

That valve looks as tho' it could be a by-pass valve, as it looks to be connecting two similarly-sized pipes, in which case don't touch it (Oops...:rolleyes:) But that's purely a thought - I have no idea :)

The pipe wot runs under that valve (and to its left) would seem to me to be more like the cold mains pipe as it has a filter on it further up, so I'd expect any filling loop to be connected to that pipe at least... (Again - speculation...)

See the grey round knurled thingy hanging under the boiler? What's that? Is it a turnable tap? (Tho' you shouldn't turn it until you know what it is...)

Do you have the exact model number so's we can look this up on t'net?

3. Transatlantic

Transatlantic New Member

I'm not sure of the model number, will grab that when I get home, but the download for the manual seems to be the similar for all the different Wallstar models.

http://www.hrmboilers.co.uk/assets/uploads/products/Wallstar_handbook_2014.pdf

Looking at page 47, I can name the pipes.

Names.jpg

So it looks like I just mixed the in and out heating pipes ... woops. Hopefully that is not an issue?

From my understanding the pressure needs to come from the water inlet to one of the heating pipes, so I guess there is no filling loop here? :(

4. John Tierney

John Tierney New Member

Hi,
    I have just moved into a house with the Wallstar Combi boiler and the pipework is similar to the photo you have shown. I cannot find a filling loop either but have the large valve on the water inlet. Did you manage to repressurise your system and if so did you do it with the Water inlet valve? Thanks in advance.

5. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

You would be better off starting off your own page to get a better response..

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

That's a by pass valve and looking at the rust stain on the pipe below, it has been leaking.