Boiler Pressure Problems - Do I need a repair or can I fix it myself?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gas Man G, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Gas Man G

Gas Man G New Member

I'm a gas heating engineer and often get asked questions about this topic:
    • Why is my boiler loosing pressure?
    • Why is my boiler over pressurised?
    • How can these boiler pressure problems be solved?
    • Can I do it myself?
    In order to answer these questions and more, I've written an article on my webpage that will hopefully give you all the information that you need on this - by far the most common of problems on modern gas boilers.

Link: http://www.ggasheat.co.uk/common-boiler-problems.html

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Pretty helpful I think, but, from the site;
    "Note that in the picture the valves are in the open position. Closed will always be diagonal to the flow."​

"at right angles" surely!

Regards,

Cando

Gas Man G likes this.
  3. Gas Man G

Gas Man G New Member

W
    will update that thanks

4. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I noticed that under the "Expansion Vessel Problems" section, you start the paragraph by stating that if the pressure drops repeatedly, logic dictates that there is a leak in the system. You then state that this is rarely the case and that the expansion vessel is likely to be the main problem. You then state that expansion pressure problems cause an INCREASE in pressure, not the decrease you mentioned. In pracxtice i fine that leaks ARE a common cause of repeated pressure drops and a faulty diapragm in an expansion vessel will leads to a slowly INCREASING pressure (as you correctly state) - not a decreasing one.

Nice article and hope this helps

diymostthings

Gas Man G likes this.
  5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If the expansion vessel has failed then the pressure increase is noticeably rapid whilst the boiler is in use but one of the symptoms is when cold the pressure goes back down to zero.

Gas Man G likes this.
  6. Gas Man G

Gas Man G New Member

Better way of putting it thanks

7. Gas Man G

Gas Man G New Member

Yes, but most people only notice the level once it's emptied out the PRV and the boiler stops working. The repeated increase (past 3bar)causes the decrease so to speak. I'll try and phrase it better thanks
    I see hundreds of boilers every year with pressure problems, very seldom is it because of a leak on the system. That's just in my experience and therefore my opinion. I never get call-louts to fix CH leaks, that might be why.

Dave does Gas likes this.
  8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Very true that