Boiler relocation costs

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DJU, Aug 19, 2014.

1. DJU

DJU Member

Morning all,

Looking for some general advice/thoughts. We moved into our new(1950's) house and looking at the possibility of moving the combi boiler to the airing cupboard where it looks as though the old hot water cylinder used to be when they had a traditional system.

Am I potentially looking at a costly labour cost to have all the pipes re-routed? Also, is it actually legal to have a combi in an airing cupboard? The vent would need to go up into the loft and then out through the roof. Is this acceptable?

Final question... really. Through all the wisdom that this forum has, have combi boilers become more reliable and accepted more now in houses or is it still best to have a traditional gravity system?

Sorry for all the questions, but whilst I wait for a company to come in and quote, I thought I would post some questions on here to get a head start.

Thanks in advance.

2. meady

meady Member

What's your location as that plays a big part in labour rates (higher in London, lower up north)

3. DJU

DJU Member

Thanks for the prompt reply meady.. We are in the South West(Somerset)

4. DJU

DJU Member

Just been reading some more and it seems that heating engineers don't recommend a combi on a house with more than 1 bedroom and bathroom. Not sure if everyone will agree with this, but has got me looking at other options.

Megaflow seems to be becoming more of a standard. Just about to look at costs and whats needed.. This option is sounding expensive though.

5. DJU, there is no hard and fast rule on where combis can be fitted; usually only opinions. I have a 3-4 bed house with 3 bathrooms - and I have a combi.

Ok, a couple of weeks ago I did have to step out of the shower to calmly tell my lovely wife to stop rinsing the plates she was washing as I was trying to shower, but - hey - that was the first time in ages :rolleyes:.

Obviously megaflows overcome that problem and don't require storage tanks in the loft, but - as you suspect - will be more expensive to install and will take up more room.

Solution? Get 3 plumbers out to quote for both options. Listen to what they say, but understand that they are only giving opinions too. Ok, they will be based on experience, but - I repeat - there is no hard and fast rule on this.

It'll ultimately be your call.

Come back when you've had quotes and comments from these plumbers, and we'll help guide you to the 'best' solution for you.

Oh, and a boiler in an airing cupboard is fine, provided there is adequate room to service it (which, almost certainly, there will.)

Reliability? Yes, combis have more parts to go wrong and are more 'full-on' when delivering DHW. But, that's not to say a system boiler will necessarily be more reliable than it. My combi is now over 10 years old and has had a few faults. However, the two main ones were caused by me not cleaning out my very old pipework properly before installation, so completely avoidable. Of the other faults, they were sorted by GlowWorm within warranty. (I think - or did I have to have a new PCB at some point too? Can't remember. But, if so, the PCB would as likely have gone on any type of boiler - it wasn't a combi-specific fault.)

Pros and cons.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  6. Extending water pipes to anew location shouldn't be much of an issue, especially since there are obviously pipes going to the airing cupboard already, so access should be there.

More tricky - and costly - is running the (possibly upgraded) gas pipe and the flue. Oh, and the condensate pipe.

But, getting ugly boilers out of the kitchen (ooh-er, missus) and hidden away is always a good move to me.

7. DJU

DJU Member

Hmm, putting it like that is sounding quite expensive with the running of additional pipes. Not looking forward to the quote.

With regards to the gas pipe, would you expect a qualified heating engineer to be able to do this as part of the install or would you need to get in a corgi gas engineer specifically for this pipe?

8. The guy who'll fit the boiler will also run/extend the gas pipe. Yes, both jobs require a 'GasSafe'.

Where is the airing cupboard in relation to where the boiler is currently located? If the route is accessible, then running pipes (doesn't matter what they carry) is peasy - it wot plumbers do every day...

More tricky is the flue - will he need access to the roof, or will it go out through a wall? And then there's the condensate pipe, an extra pipe on modern boilers. But there are solutions for this too.

But, you won't know until you get them out to look and quote. Ask lots of Qs and listen carefully to the answers. Try to sniff out any 'bull' being told. Sadly, some plumbers will put their convenience before the customer's requirements.

Sis in law had just this job done last year - install new boiler and reposition it in an airing cupboard from small kitchen. 3 out of 4 plumbers she called out to quote simply said it was 'too difficult to do'. And this is a job I knew I could have done myself had it been my own flat - it just needed a bit of extra work from up in t'loft. The 4th plumber did do the job.

So don't necessarily believe what you are told.

Charlie144 likes this.
  9. Charlie144

Charlie144 New Member

Yeah get some quotes in really - mind out for those big brand names like Eon who may charge a hefty fee though! I got some quotes together and comparing a one man band, BG and a NW firm called STL Heating - I opted for STL. I did'nt want to feel ripped by BG - not take a gamble on a small one man band. So I played safe middle option - had no problems since though ! As for your boiler housed within an airing cupboard - I'm not 100% sure about that though, still that's what the experts are there for.

Regarding flue and such, going up into the loft and then out through the roof - sound do-able but do check with the experts!

10. Hi Charlie.

That's the most subtle-tasting bit of spam I've eaten in ages :)