Boiler's condensing pipe outlet - what can I do to 'tidy'?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Jul 23, 2014.

1. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

give a child enough rope and he'll hang himself,

so after 10+ years of boilers spilling their 10s of thousands of gallons of highly corrosive chemical waste into the drains,sewers and soil of this land, where are any damage reports? maybe your going to say it causes sink holes,earthquakes,summer limb falls, maybe hurricanes and even global warming, the very same scaremongery that thatcher invented to close the pits and intruduced condensating boilers,
    A scaremonger can claim the earth will stop moving and produce documents to prove it, the only obstacle to overcome is the free thinking people like me who don't believe everything that a glossy advertisement says in a marketing magazine,

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

maybe it's only you that allows the condensate to drip unmanaged onto the ground ?

maybe everyone else does it properly and follows the manufacturers instructions ?

this might be wasted on you, but here's a Scandinavian joke

Why do the British put their waste water pipes on the outside of their buildings? - So they can get to them easily when they freeze.

:rolleyes:

3. Hey yea yey yeeeaaa yooowoooo - you two... :rolleyes:

Two of my very favourest peeps on here. This is hurtin', man :oops:.

I think Steve (Steve? Are you still there...?) has enough info now to work on. And bright enough to make his own judgement.

He has the "This is how it's been done for ages with no worries to anyone..." and the "There are rools & regulations to follow, you know, and they are there for good reason..."

I have to say I belonged quite firmly (ignorantly?) in the first camp, but whilst I ain't going to run outside and change what setup I personally have (pipe aims down into a rainwater downpipe gulley), I will also not any more suggest to people seeking advice on here that they should do it in any way that goes against regs. They can work out for themselves if they want to take the 'risk'.

Enough already?

4. proby

proby Active Member

D A with your title you should know that you can search the web and come up with an argument for and against any point of view. Rules for regs against, usually comes down to what's practical.

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

exactly

6. Biochef

Biochef Member

Think you might have swallowed some tom :p

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

wise words from Mr Devs and Mr Proby, the practical solution is the best, and that's where my advice comes from years of PRACTICAL experience in the plumbing and associated trades, that means what is acually done not just read about, In the early days of condencing pipes ( 10 years ago) 100's of new houses just drained the condensate on a gravelled walk way down the side of the house, and dispite seans scaremongery evidence of melted concrete and structure damage and houses needing underpinning, none of the houses that I know of have subsided,
    there's never been a rule to silence back seat drivers and there probably never will, we just have to put up with the nuisence :oops:

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

this could go on and on - it's very simple

do what Tom says ...... and ignore everything that chemists, structural engineers and boiler makers tell you

or follow the rules and regulations and the manufacturers instructions

I don't make the rules and regs, like them or loathe them we just have to adhere to them (or we won't get paid)

simple really

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

Tom, I'm not here to do anything other than to encourage folks to do the right thing, it's up to them if they want to put their property at some risk (however small or insignificant you might perceive it to be) - I'll be happy to admit my mistake when I have made an error, I would hope you would do the same

so just one last question (again) ........

if the discharge is so harmless, why is the 500mm distance, away from the footings so important ?

[​IMG]

10. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

If we worked to every regulation written we wouldn't get any work no one would pay the costs, a friend of mine who teaches level3 plumbing and gas always says to me a good percentage of regs aren't worth the paper they are written on.
    Some regs make sense but most are created by idoits so they can justify the job that has been created for them.;)

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

sean, I dunno who or why the 500mm rule is, you'll notice I said in my first post that's what the rules are. ok I missquopted by 100mm if you want to nitpick, but you are producing evidence that its more toxic that the dribble what Aliens spit to put holes in space ships (more science fiction) and if it was the case, the regs would have changed, christ knows how they like changing regs, because that gives them the right to charge us to learn them,
    and thats the whole reason for regs, as PB says, Its a money making game for the old skool tie brigade, jobs for the boys and we. the practical working people who are funding it,
    and why you're so interested in people ding things right, why did you tell them there's no need for inserts in plastic pipe ??:eek:

12. proby

proby Active Member

Just a question cos I have no idea this soak away with limestone in doesn't seem very big how long dose it last before it becomes useless. Doss it last for the life of the boiler or do you have to replace it, or is it one of those regs that as long as it's in place it doesn't matter if it works or not?

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

It wasn't so much your miss-remembering the distance Tom, I wasn't nitpicking that comment - it's your follow on comment about you being happy for it to ''drop on the floor'' - you still don't appear to accept that's wrong

but that's not what I said now is it, I'm quite happy to play your silly mischief making game but I'd rather you correct your initial very misguided and misleading first post and help folks avoid permanently stained patios and pavings, or much much worse

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you've mischievously taken that remark out of it's full context in the hope that it diverts attention from this point - but if it makes you feel any better Tom, the advice I gave in that thread wasn't 100% accurate - it was based on how folks up here have been doing things for decades. I now accept it was not fully in accordance with the MI - for which I fully apologise

it's easy to admit a mistake Tom, try it

15. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

this would be rather amusing but for the fact that you appear to actually believe it

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it's effectiveness is limited to the amount of time it takes the acidity within the condensate to eat away the chippings - your tea will only taste sweet if there's sugar in the mug

17. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

proby your last guess is proably on the nail. will somebody tell sean that i have him on ignore, I'm getting a bit fed up now of logging out to read his drivel and having to log back in to answer, its just too much bother,

disclaimer, my advice is free given in good faith to hopefully help people, if it helps good, if it does.t, try something else,
    steve if you do let it drip on the patio and it eats through the flag, let me know and i'll pay for a new flag, it might take a few years though, :oops:

18. proby

proby Active Member

So no rules about changing it, doesn't make much sense then.

19. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if you've got this far are are still wondering what to do - just follow the manufacturers instructions, if it says let it drop to the floor then do that :rolleyes:

20. [QUOTE="if the discharge is so harmless, why is the 500mm distance, away from the footings so important ?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Do you know what year that diagram/recommendation relates to? I can't say I recall it from my own boiler-fitting time back in 2004.

(Or perhaps I didn't look too closely :rolleyes: )