Boiler's condensing pipe outlet - what can I do to 'tidy'?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Jul 23, 2014.

1. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

in 2004 you did't need a condencer, they only forced us to fit them in 2005 and even then there was a honeymoon loophole, but yea if you bought a condencer then it would have that diagram,o_O

2. Oops...

Och well, mine will continue to aim into the downpipe grate.

Well, there was a grate there the last time I looked... :rolleyes:

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I don't recall there ever being a period during which a properly installed domestic soakaway wasn't a requirement, if the installation had been carried out under a warrant the omission would have been highlighted - it's even appearing on some full survey reports as a defect

informed choice, that'll do

4. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Been following this thread with interest.

What I don't get is the argument that discharging condensate into a trap containing a couple of handfuls of limesone chippings will neutralise the acidity (which is about the same as acid rain in industrial areas or strong pee) for the life of the property, as that small quantity of limestone does not compare favourably with the amount of calcium in the concrete footings of a house!! I have seen the effect of condensate staining a wall where it is not discharged below ground level and no-one would want kids catching it in a jamjam and drinking it, which I believe to be far more the real thinking behind the building regs than the potential corrosive effects of the condensate. Paul Greengrass of course has a vested interest in his article pointed to by Sean, who, and there's nothing wrong with that, is a tad on the environmental side in his posts too. So I conclude its more to do with visual and disposal reasons than any harmful effect on the soil or buildings.

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

is there any hard factual chemistry behind your opinion ?

maybe you could answer the question I have asked a few times - if the condensate is so harmless, why do ALL of the manufacturers dictate how far away from the footings the soakway should be ? - it's practically hidden, how does your ''visual reasons'' logic account for that requirement ? - and it's not just a little way past the footings

the corrosive effects of steam and condensate are well known, it was doing harm well before these apparently new fangled condensing boilers came to exist - ask any old industrial boiler engineer or inspector what is the most common cause of a boiler to be scrapped

6. I'm not arguing with Sean any more :mad:.

'Cos I think I will lose... :oops:

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

seanscaremonger roll on here is to argue for the sake of it, I sussed that a long time ago so I put him ignore, which might have been a bit childish of me but he's always going to opose anything and everything I say/type, but I have to admit reading some of his drivel iis quite entertaining as he's now claiming the condensation wrecked more steam trains than Dr Beeching, and anytime soon now he'll produce evidence from google to prove it :oops:

8. proby

proby Active Member

I don't get it with these soakaways if they ar so important why have I never seen one. Every condensate pipe I have ever seen goes down the drain one way or another.

9. proby

proby Active Member

Grow a pair man.if you are a man I mean?

10. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Sean - the chemistry is a very good question. The acidity in condensate is largely derived from nitric and nitrous acids and is generally in the range pH3.6 to pH4.3 Concrete contains calcium primarily as calcium hydroxide

The equation would run as follows

Nitric acid plus calcium hydroxide gives calcium nitrate plus water
    The balanced equation is
    2HNO3+Ca(OH)2 = Ca(NO3)2+2H2O sorry upper case throughout
    Using the atomic weights N=14, 0=16, H=1, Ca=40
    74 gm calcium hydroxide neutralises 163gm of nitric acid

Now we have to calculate the quantity of Nitric acid in the condensate

Using the moles basis 0.0020 gm nitric acid would be be contained per litre of condensate

therefore we would need 81500 litres of condensate to react with 74 gram of calcium hydroxide,

one kg of calcium hydroxide would need 1,100,135 litres of condensate to convert it to calcium nitrate and the concrete is not pure calcium hydroxide anyway so I think scientifically I'll sleep easy tonight.

Why is the soakaway not just a little way away - it's 500mm to centre from wall which is neither here nor there - can only conclude that's to allow to dig and make connections.

Therefore I stand by my original conclusions.

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the soakaway is the last chance saloon option, most times a route can be found to a drain. but if it can't the soakaway is an option,

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

way to go ramseyman, that'll take some googling :):):):D:D

13. Whoahh! Ramseyman - I suddenly want to argue again!

Er, can I copy your post...?

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you've never seen one ? - here's a clue

[​IMG]

15. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

ermmmm ....... :confused: I'm no chemist but ......

you compare condensate to acid rain, do you also have a formula to prove that acid rain also has no ill affects on buildings ?

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

and another formula to explain this ?

I'm genuinely interested in the chemistry btw - these aren't just random images I've plucked out of the air to keep the grumpy plumber amused

[​IMG]

17. proby

proby Active Member

No never seen one only in this drawing they all go down the drain

18. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

there's plenty of images of the damage that condensate can do - admittedly I'm not aware of the fuel type used

Screen-Shot-2014-03-26-at-8.21.09-AM.png axm-drain-x.jpg Point to leaks web.jpg

19. proby

proby Active Member

So you don't know what caused it but you posted it any way. You make it sound illegal to put condensate down the drain.

20. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I have replaced bath wastes that have corroded through just from soapy water.Boiler MI's are overkill to cover themselves as is with all products,its a cover your a**e society,a bit like buying a coffee from a garage and they will give it to you in a cup with (caution hot liquid) written on the side.:(:(