Boiler's Packed Up - Temporary Immersion Heater

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by seftonbarn, May 15, 2015.

1. seftonbarn

seftonbarn New Member

I want to fit an immersion heater. My tank has a blanking plug where an immersion heater should be fitted (close to the top and just off centre). I am going with the assumption that I can fit an off the shelf 17" immersion heater in that location. But I have seen some "dual thermostats" on scrwfix. Are these essential? I thought that the immersion heater incorporated a thermostat?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

All immersion ellements have to have a thermostat with a thermal cut out in them nowadays. If its temporary just fit the basic in there, and good luck getting the blank out, I will warn you there is a risk of splitting the cylinder if its been in there a while.

3. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Yes I can vouch for this being an accurate statement. I got hold of a redundant cylinder from a family member and just out of curiosity tried to remove that plug. In the end I used a hot air gun on it and it finally yielded but it was close to distorting the copper. There was a lot of hardened sealant on the threads with possibly hemp. If your was fitted with PTFE tape, might be a lot easier!

diymostthings