Boosting cold water pressure

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Robintadley, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Robintadley

Robintadley New Member

Hi guys and girls,

I currently have a 3 bed semi in an area with low water pressure. There is a bathroom (mixer shower) and toilet with one kitchen. I am finishing off an extension on the house and adding 2 showers (both electric), one bath (mixer shower) and 2 toilets and 2 sinks plus a sink in the kitchen with a dishwasher.

We are coming to the end of the build and the water pressure in the extension is horrendous. All new plumbing has been done with push fit fixings.

Wondering what options I have to boost the pressure? I have heard about anchor pumps multi boost home boosters with a 300l storage (similar to the grundfos ones but cheaper) has anyone had any experience of these or can recommend something better or an alternative?

Thanks

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Hi Rob
    Firstly the water regs do not allow for a pump to be fitted directly onto the incomming main, but you may be able to get permission from your local water company. I know that the dont allow it down here in Hampshire, but differnt companys will have different sets of rules. The way around it is to have a storage tank in the loft but pumped for the whole house. Ive put a link up for you to hopefull give you a few ideas.

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/wcssto...hu/re/Grundfos_WPressureBoosting_Brochure.pdf

3. Robintadley

Robintadley New Member

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Never heard of them but probably do the same job.
    Obviously I have no idea of your budget, but if it was me I'd go for the recognised company. I was once told that only a rich man can afford to buy cheap carpets.
    Clearly the water pressure is an issue which you have to get sorted. Have you contacted your water company about the low pressure as they do have a responsibility to maintain and deliver a certain pressure to all properties

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

another way is to fit accumulators, they will absorb the off peak higher pressure and store it, its a cheaper way than pumps and storage tanks and something else to think about, ;)

6. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Nice find, cheers tp :)

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

oh I did't find it taffy, I made it, :)

8. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Soz tp, didn't know

Well made though, keep up the good work, my hat goes off to you for getting in front of the camera, I couldn't as I would crack the lens :eek:

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

gerrrofff, I'm no oil painting myself and the canon supershot has a bullit proof glass so you should be ok, thanks for the compliment though :)

10. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

id be more concerned with 3 !!!! electric showers in the same house on the same service fuse>!!!!!!

11. Robintadley

Robintadley New Member

There is only 2 electric showers in the house, both on a new and separate switch board. I've ordered a 3 bar salamander pump and a storage tank so hopefully get that fitted in the next few days. Will update when it's done! Thanks to all for their help!