Bosch 10.8v VS Makita 10.8v Drill? Which one for electrician?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by wau5, Nov 23, 2016.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

I'm after an early xmas gift for my Dad who's an Electrician, looking for a small/very compact unit which still got plenty of power, he got some very old makita 14.4v makita ni-cad drill ,not sure what kind of power that one has but certainly nothing good..

He just needs it for light tasks and for putting holes in to junction boxes and stuff like that,nothing really that hardcore and needs something very compact which can fit in to places, is very lightweight and has a nice light.

So I have been looking at the bosch 10.8v stuff
    http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-gsb-10-8-2-li-cordless-combi-drill-body-only
    £37 for it sounds very sweet deal as well,

I dismissed makita before as they had very little torque ratings, but I saw they now have new CXT Range drills which have more or less the same ratings as for the bosch + I found very nice blackfriday deal for a drill/impact driver, battery,charger,box for just £108
    http://www.powertools2u.co.uk/Black...-2x2.0Ah-Li-ion-Drill-+-Impact-Driver-Kit.htm

however at least from the online images those tools look rather large and not as compact as the bosch ones?

I have never seen either of the tools in flesh so I have no idea about their actual sizes or which one is more compact, however I saw that at some forums people said that the bosch 10.8v stuff is kinda cheaply made and the makita is much more durable, and after prelonged use the bosch has worn more than the makita stuff. but that was just some stuff I saw at one place, so who knows...

Maybe anyone have tried both of the brand tools and can comment on which one is better? I'm slightly leaning towards the bosch only because of the nicer form factor, but I would like to buy something that will last him for a while as well and will be a better tool overall..

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes forgot to mention that.:oops:

But, I perfer the Makita, it's more functional design, nicely balanced, you can stand it on it's battery, Bosch you can't,which is more like a phaser from Flash Gordon.

upload_2016-11-23_21-14-30.jpeg

upload_2016-11-23_21-15-3.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    CGN likes this.
  5. Slingo

Slingo New Member

Just love the bosch. Treated myself a few months back after seeing a kitchen fitters on site. Fits in the hand really well, really light weight and compact, and has enough power to go through bricks . Don't know about the Makita, not seen or used one.
    By the way, the link you posted for the bosch was for the 'body only' . If it's for a present you might want to look at getting it with the battery and charger. It will probably come in at a similar price to the makita and if memory serves I think I paid about £90 to £100 for mine. Top tool though.

6. wau5

wau5 Active Member

I have a spare new charger and few batteries I can give away,so got that covered :)
    The only problem at the moment is whatever the makita or bosch is a better tool overall..

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not sure how powerful these 10.8v drills are, but an angle drill would be useful for an electrician when drilling into joists.

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The Makita have the DA331DWE-1 which is a 10.8v angled drill, can buy it naked.:)
    But, I reckon it would struggle going through some joists I've encountered, lack of torque.
    Even my mains makita angled drill found some joists tough going.
    A quick google, shows it couldn't manage drilling a 16mm hole through a joist, just ain't got the torque, so light drillng only.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php..._medium=base&gclid=COuC3PyXwdACFQEM0wodQgkEtw

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've got Makita stuff (18v) and love it. One thing to bear in mind is whether your Dad will have a need for further power tools in future in which case you'd want the same kit that can share batteries.

You buy the drill now with charger and battery, then for more tools you just get the bare "naked" tool.

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Bosch Blue -

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree, but the bosch 10.8v angled drill needs a redesign.

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What angled drill is that Mr K?

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I would not consider the 10.8V range my friend they are simply not powerful enough. The de facto voltage is 18V.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Must say I beg to differ Un (not talking site tools though) In my main bedroom I had to drop the ceiling to get rid of angle in the ceiling.

Joists used were 3 x 2 and I think it was 12 lengths of these @ 4 mtrs long. Piloted clearance holes in joists and whacked them up using a 10.8v Bosch Blue impact driver - the driver never faltered, it was brill Un.

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'm with you both! 18V is defacto standard however its a lot more expensive. The twin 10.8V set linked above is £108, did a quick search and the cheapest single Makita 18V drill/driver is around £150.

10.8V stuff will do various jobs no problem, its horses for courses.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Agree 100%

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I have the Makita 18V and 10.8V twin kits and usually end up with a flat bit and a 17mm socket on the 18V and a 4mm drill and mag bit on the 10.8V.

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Well I suppose 10.8V kit would be suitable if lightly used but for a tradesman 18V is the de facto standard.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Stupid question with reference to combi drills (never bought one of those, but have used one yonks ago and was not impressed) do the latest ones when on percussion go through masonry with the action of sds percussion, or is it that nasty whine which does virtually nowt?

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Go & find a decent tool shop & look/try the Bosch GBH 18 V-EC brushless combi drill.
    A very nice drill, well balanced, led light, & compact, can buy naked or as a kit.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gbh-18-v-ec-cordless-sds-drill-18v-4-0ah-503750