Bosch 10.8v VS Makita 10.8v Drill? Which one for electrician?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by wau5, Nov 23, 2016.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Mr K. Right m8 yes I know those ones are good (me bruvs got one)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-18-2-li-plus-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/7434k

But with ref to the one above - when you use it on hammer does it make a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise and is only good for soft masonry, or does it make an sds percussion noise when tackling bricks etc, and drills the hole like a mains sds on percussion?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Haven't got one,used one, but it's on my xmas list.:)

Why haven't you asked your bruv?:)

Have a listen.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Mr K and thanks - I've used me bruvs one and it is very good/excellent - but I was more interested in the small combi drill and what that one is like on percussion - you know does it make that whining noise when drilling masonary etc, and as its whining the drill bit does virtually nowt and starts bluing and smoking, and in the end you end up with a useless masonry drill bit which has done virtually nowt.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a Bosch GSB18 2VI plus & it very good on masonry done a few 8mm holes for masonry bolts, using bosch multibits, it sounds like this in masonry, start 1:24, first video.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Mr k really appreciated m8..for 99 squids the battery must be worth that - but used as masonry drill? Ok for thermalites/celcons.

KIAB likes this.
  6. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I bought a Festool 10.8v drill/driver. Hardly use my 18v Makita ones now.

The 10.8 does probably 85% of the work required.

CGN likes this.
  7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

10.8v is great up ladders when used for drilling, plugging and screwdriving.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My GSB18 2 Li Plus, will easily drill 8mm hole in concrete block.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmm I rather fancy one of those Mr K - I will av a word with the missus and maybe she will stick one under the Christmas Tree. Thanks m8 - all appreciated.

10. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

A few months ago I bought a GSB18 2 from SF - had to take it back as chuck was not true - replacement was exactly the same, it went back too. SF very understanding and issued a refund as at the time there was no stock for replacement. Now have Dewalt kit, not quite as nice a the Bosch but does what it says on the tin.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Which one did you go for then?

I like the pistol style handles.

Makita set is a good price but want the slimmer handle design.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also intrested to know which he went for.

Happen to be in a tool shop yesterday, & I was surprised by the range of Makita 10.8v tools, a wide range of combi's & impacts,jigsaw, sabre saw,etc.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'm looking at the festool one with interchangeable chucks.

Have looked at the metabo set, I like the size/ weight and grip of the drill, and the right angle bit attachment. The drill can actually be used as impact wrench as has torque settings. But dont like the impact wrench as my makita 18V is actually smaller in length and about the same weight.

The other option is the Milwaukee 4in1 drill, like the interchangeable heads and the eccentric head attachment, plus I think you can leave the screwdriver bit in when changing to drill chuck.

won't need an impact wrench as will just use the 18v I have.

So it's between the Milwaukee (£170) and festool (£210) - Axminsiter see to be cheaper here but they are on back order on the festool.

14. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Which Metabo set, as Impact Drivers don't usually have torque settings that I know of apart from high-end kit like the Makita DTD170Z which has 6 driving modes but costs about £220 for a bare unit.

I never looked at the Milwaukee as I did not have any Milwaukee kit until recently when I bought their battery powered 16g nail gun. I'm impressed with that though the tool case design leaves a lot to be desired.

I have seen the Milwaukee for £155 inc. delivery here:

https://www.powertoolsgb.co.uk/cgi-..._TkA3Vp20XTJ3-VOq8qpthoCxT_w_wcB#.WEKLqNKLS00

That is a big saving on the Festool as £210 is about as cheap as you will get it. If Axminster don't have stock try Nuts & Bolts:

http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/festool-cordless-drill-cxs-li-2-6-set-gb-240v.html

Great guys to deal with.

The Milwaukee offset chuck would be something that I would find useful (in fact it would have come in handy yesterday fixing screws close to a vertical timber).

The 90° chuck for my Festool has been indispensable . It's one of those items that does not get used that often but when the need arises it makes life so much easier.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I find that driving small screws is far easier with just a drill driver. Impacts are good i some cases with large fixings.

Metabo impact hasn't the settings its just the drill driver with the clutch. I did like the metal settings, wheel which feel solid.

Already have an impact wrench, so no point in getting another one, especially when it is just the same size if not bigger.

So will just get the 4in1 drill.

Think I will go with the Milwaukee one as I like that you can keep the bits in the chuck when changing over to drill mode.Form what I see its only this drill that comes with the offset attachments. I know it will come in handy.

Have the 18v set although it is much smaller than drills made years ago seems quite heavy and bulk so not ideal for small tasks.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've order the Milwaukee one should be delivered tomorrow, saved some money on it.