Bosch 5.5 kw oven

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by moz, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Larnaca: perhaps your memory goes back a little too far dear?

Yes, in the olden days 6mm or 7/.036 was the standard size. But it isn't the case nowadays with modern ovens. This particular 5kW oven will be quite happy on a 2.5mm butyl flex.

I'm not being sarcastic about this. I'm adressing the current issue of the oven in question. It has bugger all to do with future replacements. This is likely to be a built-in double oven, so it's hardly likely to be replaced by a free standing cooker.

Lucia.

2. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

Lucia,

We'll agree to disagree again on this point also...

No-ones saying that this oven will not sit quite comfortably on a 2.5mm butyl cable. What I am saying is that where a site provided cable is required, then it is sensible and prudent to provide the 6mm T&E cable, ...Foolproof!!!

By the way, are you sure that it was 7/036, and not 7/044??

3. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Would it not be prudent to follow manufacturers stipulations with ref to flex type? yes flex. I note with interest that H05 VV-F cable has been stipulated for hook up so this would obviously encompass the use of butyl.

The manufacturers will try anything to negate claims under a guarantee..perhaps the use of ordinary T + E might just do this in some instances.
    Moz a few cursory adiabatic calcs are in order if in doubt about fault clearance..no doubt that these will show 2.5 to be fine..but if you are like me then 4mm will be used because we don't know any betterand we are not sparkies.

4. moz

moz Member

Lucia and JP the voices of reason and sense.
    As said before the extra cost of a bit of decent flexy heatproof cable (at least 4mm which will take 32a without blinking an eyelid) is nothing in comparison to the cost of the oven - 750 quid.
    No quibble if a warranty issue, and round cable fits the cable clamp, which FTE don't!
    CASE CLOSED

5. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

Lucia and JP the voices of reason and sense.

cheers

6. Yours truly

Yours truly New Member

DONT FORGET LAR NA CA MAN. HE IS THE ORACLE.

7. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

Yes, ...And i see your Mum has let you on the computer again!!!