Bosch and DeWalt 18v Combi Drills

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by gpierce, Jan 10, 2015.

1. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Just looking for some opinion - my old DeWalt kit is dying a death (the batteries more specifically) so I'm planning on upgrading my kit. Currently I have the DeWalt entry level 18v combo drill, (http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc100ka-gb-18v-1-3ah-ni-cd-cordless-combi-drill/73596) bought about 5 years ago, and have since added the impact driver as well. I use the impact driver 90% of the time, but if I had to choose between the two, I would stick with a combo because it can drill and screw, not just drive screws.

I'm stuck between the DeWalt 18v XR kit with the 4.0ah batteries and the brushless motors on both the impact and the drill. One one hand it's 4.0ah (a massive step up from my old 1.3ah batteries) and brushless motors should increase the runtime. DeWalt kit is generally fine, although having used my farther in laws li-ion DeWalt drill (albeit the entry level cheaper option) I'm not convinced the build quality is what it used to be with DeWalt, but I could be wrong. I'd love to go up to the top XRP drill, but the wallet says otherwise.

Second option is the Bosch Blue drill and impact driver. The drill in the kit is the top of the line Bosch drill, and offers a lot more power than the DeWalt drill, 4.0ah batteries but no brushless motor. I have one other Bosch Blue tool, my GBH2000 SDS drill, and am very impressed with the build quality and performance. Seen some bad reviews of the chuck on the Bosch drill, but that should easily be swapped out for the metal DeWalt chuck which I rate highly.

Not looking to add much more to the kit once I have gotten started, probably a jigsaw at some point, but I might stay corded for that, I rarely need to be cordless on any of my saws, so other kit options are not really a massive factor.

I don't often use them for massively heavy work - my current DeWalt drill manages OK when I do use it, but the Bosch looks like better kit. It's almost brushless vs brushed motors, but between brands as well.

Ruled out Makita - I love their kit (or the bits I've used anyway) but the price I'm looking at leaves me towards the lower end of the Makita options.

Any experience or feedback would be appreciated!