Bosch PSB 680-2RE replacing the chuck

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by axus44, Mar 31, 2015.

1. axus44

axus44 New Member

Hello
    Help please, I need to replace the chuck and not sure how to remove the old one ( not SDS ).
    I can see where to put the spanner on the shaft. Do I stick the chuck in a vice and use the spanner to remove it.
    Until I remove the old one I don't know the size of the replacement.
    Many thanks
    Keith

2. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Look down inside the chuck itself as there may be a screw inside it, you may need a torch or a good light source to see it though

The head may be a cross point, star or allen key (perhaps)

3. axus44

axus44 New Member

Many thanks for your reply. There isn't any form of screw or key inside.

4. I think you place a spanner on that flat, and secure that in a vice or similar to hold the drill shaft steady. Then position the chuck key in place and whallop it firmly with a rubber mallet to unscrew the chuck.

As you look direct at the end of the chuck, you aim to unscrew it anticlockwise.

I think.

5. Welshdragon1

6. axus44

axus44 New Member

Yes, fully open. At the bottom of the 3 grip bars there is a lip then a further hole about an inch deep, nothing at the bottom

7. I think Welsh is right.

Unless the screw is missing.

Anyways, give it a whallop...

8. Welshdragon1

To see if the screw is missing get a long thin screw / bolt or similar, push it into the hole & feel to see if there is a thread in the hole itself.

You may find that the screw is in a recess & may be grease or dirt of the head of the screw.

The countersink screw may be counter clockwise (Left hand thread)

Make sure the drill is not plugged in though, when tapping the nut counter clockwise aka (Left hand thread)

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

The parts diagram certainly shows a screw, but I have a Makita 1620 that doesn't have one :confused:. If I may make a suggestion, it may be better to grip a large Allen key in the chuck,as it will give you more purchase,rather than use the chuck key. The thread is probably 1/2-20 UNF.

10. axus44

axus44 New Member

Hi Guys. I forgot to put that it is keyless type. I have scraped the bottom of the hole and definitely no screw or key though it feels like there could be a thread.

11. Welshdragon1

Follow Malkies suggestion for gripping an allen key or similar strong angled metal in the chuck, then with the spanner tap it counter clockwise, & bob should be your uncle ;)

12. axus44

axus44 New Member

Many thanks guys, will give it a try tomorrow.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The number of chucks I've struggled with and never thought about an allen key in the chuck.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  14. Welshdragon1

It will of course depend on the torque that the assembly line rammed it on with tbpqh ;)

15. Ditto :)

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The keyless one still has a screw, it's left handed thread as they all are.

57400000000000-0-full.gif

17. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Forgot to add....Hold the Allen key in a vice & then whack the spanner that's on the spindle. ;)

18. Now you're chust getting cocky... :p

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

20. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'm sure, just pointing out that it should have one.

If the screw is missing or removed, then grip a 10mm Allen key in the chuck by the short end.

Clamp drill in a vice wrapped in a towel to protect its body from damage.

Whack the Allen key anti clockwise with a hammer, Chuck comes undone, Simples. :)