Botch builders have left me with no waste drain access!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Grassy, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Grassy

Grassy New Member

Hello - just wondered if someone out there could help. We live in a Georgian house converted into four flats, and we occupy the downstairs flat. Our bathroom waste appears to go out of the house and into a pipe which runs down the side of the house into the ground. We've had lots of blocked sinks, water draining slowly and all the plumbers who come out say they can't find the man hole cover for the pipe. Is there some place where we can trace where the original man whole would have been? I suspect it's been built on and may well be under the extensions of some other properties which have been build in what used to be the garden (this is London, space is a premium - there is a cottage in what used to be this properties garden!). I know that we will constantly have this problem unless we can sort it out - any suggestions? Do builders have to submit plans to councils to cover where the waste flow goes and if you can get access to those plans?
    Any help appreciated. Many thanks

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yes builders (or their architects) have to submit plans to the local council and any drainage work is notifiable to the building control department of the local council.

You could contact the local councils building control department to see what information they have - they may or may not be helpful.

Otherwise it is quite a simple job for a drainage company to come an check not only the location of your manholes but also the condition of the pipes.

Some of you insurance policies ( household or appliances ) may cover the cost of the investigation cost. Somebody like DynoRod will be able to give you a quote over the phone

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I didn't have a manhole in my Victorian house.

The original plans showed an R.W.T (rain water trap). This collected the rainwater and was used for washing clothes and gardening use.

If there is a soil stack, it can be jetted from here, but will need an access point. Or maybe carry out a CCTV drain inspection.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Should be an easy job for a competent firm to just separate the joints on a soil pipe and push a rod and camera down to trace the route

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The last time I needed a CCTV survey carried out the guy drilled around a 50mm hole in the stack to allow his equipment to get in. A rubber type removable access plug was then fitted over the hole. If its a cast iron stack may be a little difficult.

6. Grassy

Grassy New Member

This is really useful. Think my first point of call will be the original architects as I have their details - though the conversion was done about 12 years ago and I'm not sure the firm still exists - and then then council.

Thank you so much for responding. Its given me faith in the internet being a useful tool. Now where was the email about a penis extension someone sent me....

7. I've got it.

It doesn't work... :oops: