Both Neighbour's power cables on our house

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by SFNewbie, Oct 4, 2016.

1. SFNewbie

SFNewbie New Member

Hello,

Hoping someone could help

We have planning permission to build a double storey side extension and a rear single storey to our property. We live in a semi detached. Ours and both our neighbour's overhead cables are attached to the detached side of our house. One cable diverts straight to the detached bungalow neighbour, ours and our attached neighbours cables run along the side and back of our house under our fascias. Our's comes down the middle rear of our house. Our neighbour's supply continues until it reaches the middle rear of their house.

We contacted the supplier of the over head cables and told them we need ours to be temporarily removed so we can carry out our work and that our neighbours will need a new supply each so their power is not compromised during the work.

Initially we were told by builders / electricity provider that of course we will be held accountable for costs to change our supply but we should not have to pay to change our neighbours. However when I raised the application with the power cable provider they said we would probably be charged for all three...

They also mentioned we would need the neighbour's permission to change their power supply (despite it being on our property!). The issue here is we have a sour relationship with one of our neighbours due the planned renovation works. Naturally, if they can delay or even stop our work, they will...

Due to the extensive work required there is no way the cables can be worked around. So, if it's true that our neighbours can object, can it prevent us from making improvements to our property?

There is nothing in the deeds and no mention from previous owners.

Thanks in advance!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There was a thread on here some time ago about this same problem, & I can't find it.:(

3. SFNewbie

SFNewbie New Member

Ah ok thanks, I'll do some digging too. I saw a couple before but their situation was slightly different. Let me know if you find it :)

4. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. SFNewbie

SFNewbie New Member

Thanks all for your help.

Yes, they have confirmed they can not trace a wayleave agreement. So I believe I am right in thinking the neighbour's cables are not authorised to be there?

Obviously we will be making sure our neighbours cables are removed and they are supplied with a new connection at the electricty providers expense. Do you think we're in a strong enough position to get them to pay for our expenses too?

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Whilst not directly related to the problem, my parents house had a similar arrangement where the cables were strung from house to house. What I didn't realise is that in my parents case the cables were unsheathed - bare wire by design! From the ground you couldn't tell and when I found out I went white when I realised all the times I had done things as a kid and adult that could have resulted in a major electrical shock!

So be careful if your builders put up scaffolding prior to the move

9. Sos could have been sauce :eek:

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

To be fair if I were you and want to remain on good terms with your neighbour I would pay. Look at it the other way round your neighbour wants to have an extension, so you have to shell out hundreds for moving a cable that was most likely there when you moved in;)

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, I really was grey when I found out, the number of times I had carried ladders, replacement line posts all sorts of stuff as adult let alone the things I would have done as a kid :eek:

The only reason we became aware of it was my mother mentioned that sometimes the electricity fades in and out. When I looked outside the cables had sagged and in the wet were arcing :eek: Western Power came out within an hour with 5 trucks and fixed it. The funny thing was they only had two core armoured cable with them and asked if it was the Live and Neutral to put in the cable or include the earth and run L or N separately !

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The issue isn't so much as the payment but he has to ask the neighbour permission to relocate the cables and at the moment they are not on the best of terms

14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Agreed sospan but asking for payment will not improve matters and p??? Of the other neighbour too:-(

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The power company will do the neighbours work for free as part of the change over. So payment shouldn't be an issue

teabreak likes this.
  16. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Fair nuff. :)

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

There is a legal document known as a wayleave which grants permission for a third party to use a property to run cables. It might be with checking legal documents that came with the deeds to see if any wayleaves exist.

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might be useful.:)

http://www.wayleave.co.uk/wayleave-wwd.htm

19. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

From experience there are wayleaves and permenant easements,with a wayleave you can rescind permission for something to be there but you have to give a reasonable amount of time for it to be moved,reasonable depends on what it is.We had a row of 11Kv wooden poles at work and they were getting in the way as the business expanded,we were being paid a small amount each year for them being there and it wasn't economically viable any longer,they took nearly a year to move.
    The problem with a permenant easement is it's just that,permenant,sometimes companies use these for larger items eg metal pylons or large pipes underground.They may pay on wayleave say £200 a year but there is the chance they'll be asked to move it later so,they offer a lump sum up front,usually they'll say something like "let us put this here and we'll give you £4000" now £4k may be enough to tempt someone,but it's less than they'd get in the long term and they're stuck with the item until the utility decides to move it,that's why you should check before you buy a property that has something on it whether it's on wayleave or easement. The owner before you may have been happy to take that 4 grand and have a wooden pylon at the bottom of his garden but it doesn't help you when you want to build that detached garage.

unphased likes this.
  20. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Where I used to live, contractors installed an inspection pit for BT openreach on my land fronting the property.
    It should have been (I assume) on the pavement.
    Used to love telling their engineers to 'get orf my land' whenever I saw them there.
    Never did get it resolved.