Bowed windows sash

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Seba, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Seba

Seba New Member

Hi

I had my windows installed over year ago.
    Some time ago notice that nearly all sash are bowed. Both corners area pointing out and the middle is bowed round 3-4 mm. I also can insert paper,fold on 4, between frame and seal. There is no drought coming as when I order window I ask for additional middle seal.
    Had windows check by manufacturer and hi is insisting that is OK.

I'm still not convinced. Is normal that sash is bowed, is there any tolerance or it should be straight?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No, yes, call them back in.

3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Seba,

Completely unacceptable, how wide are the sashes? Material are they made from? Window sashes do not bow, ever.

4. Seba

Seba New Member

Windows are uPVC. For me is little strange that they are bow but manufacturer guy said it's within tolerance.
    Try to find independent window surveyor bu without luck. Live in NI

5. Seba, do the sashs still slide as they did when new? And is the sealing strip (a brush type?) still filling the gaps fully?

6. Seba

Seba New Member

I think is a small misunderstanding, probably my foul cause by lack of terminology. By sash I mean part witch opening outwards. Windows are not sliding up and down sash type.
    Sorry

7. Ah. Still unusual I'd have thought.

And chance of some side-on photos to show the extent of the warping? And a close-up to show the gap that doesn't 'trap' paper?

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It is unusual for UPVC windows to bow after they have been fitted.

1. The frames were bowed originally and the seal has shrunk highlighting it
    2. There has been some movement in the wall by the side of the window

Pictures help