Bowel Cancer

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Mr Rusty, May 5, 2017.

1. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

6 weeks between my recent diagnosis of very early colon cancer, colonoscopy, keyhole surgery, and being told I'm clear - get on with your life. Have to take it easy for a few more weeks, so no throwing sheets of plasterboard around until end of June. I've been lucky.

BUT BUT BUT - only 15% of people are diagnosed early like I was with excellent outcome. The other 85% are diagnosed at a later stage, which means chemo and much poorer outlook. My message to all you guys out there - "If you think your systems have changed a bit, or you have any symptoms whatsoever, no matter how subtle - GET CHECKED OUT" - don't be fobbed off, if you think you aren't quite right insist on a colonoscopy.

more info here https://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/

my full story here http://community.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/8986-colon-cancer-my-journey-a-good-outcome

Don't be on the wrong side of the statistics!!

screwfix.peter likes this.
  2. RUSTY! Really chuffed at your 'all clear' news, man :D.

And kudos for raising the profile of this issue.

(You might not want to track down the thread from a year or so ago when I met my doctor on amore-than-friendly- term, and he had a finger extended in his gloved hand... :oops: )

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Cheers - It just makes me mad and sad when I read some of the stories about people going to GP and A/E with symptoms, not getting the proper tests and then a year-18 months later getting diagnosed with late stage very nasty cancers. The stats are horrible 42,000 cases/year ! If I can just help to get one person diagnosed at stage 1 instead of stage 4 I'll be happy. @ stage 1, 5 year survival stats is 95%+ (virtually same as general population bearing in mind average age at diagnosis) , @ stage 4 <10% - not good.

Astramax likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Great news Mr R all the best to you, my father and grandfather both died of this vile illness, when I reached 60 had received the pooh test within 3 days of my birthday, once you reach 60 you get tested every two years, just had the test again last month....again all clear!:)

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Now you mention it, did the ear infection get better after the examination? :D

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

The FOB test is good BUT if there is something there, it does have to be bleeding a bit to show positive - I think it's about a 95% good test. Just watch out for symptoms like more mucus, more gassing, intermittent pains, particularly if you have a family history - I have become a bit of a nerd on all things colon :D:D

Astramax likes this.
  7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

My dad died of Colon Cancer aged 73, I've got a "Wellman examination" booked for 1st June, just had lots of Blood tests done which came back all clear, so fingers crossed.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Hate having blood test, last time nearly fainted :D

My dad had this only 2 years aged 58. :(

9. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Just got to do the time honoured thing when a topic is started.......

got a piccie?..................