Boxing in pipes

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by daz4142, Jan 28, 2009.

1. daz4142

daz4142 New Member

The previous owners of our house have installed central heating and run the pipes down the walls. In our living room I know have a set of pipes in 3 out of 4 corners and need to box them in.

I have previously boxed in some pipes and have used battons on the wall to attach 2 pieces of MDF which are screwed together. Someone has suggest that for this room I batton the walls and use just the 1 piece of MDF /plasterboard to cover the gap ?? This sounds an easier way of doing it although wouldnt I have to angle the battons on the wall differently !!??

confused !!

thanks

2. Jack Rafter

Jack Rafter New Member

I'm confused too ask the someone what he meant

3. mick761

mick761 New Member

If you go across the two walls equally you will need to cut a 45o chamfer on the batons

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Nah. Use 1" x 1" battens, pilot hole the plasterboard/mdf to make sure you're gonna hit the batten with your screws(you can judge it or measure it beforehand, allowing for the thickness of the board and it's angle at the wall - a small offcut as a template might help).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

You could away with not chamfering the battens maybe if you piloted and countersunk the MDF when attaching it. Its partly dependant on whether you would be happy with the three corners of the room having these 'funny' angles.

Alternatively, if the pipes are a maximum of say 40mm off one of the walls, you could put one larger batten (44x44mm) and then fix one piece of MDF to this. Although depending on the width of the MDF required this may be insufficiently supported along the non batten-ed wall.

Hope that makes sense!

6. dunc

dunc New Member

I am assuming that rather than making a 'box', you are goin across the pipes and forming a triangle in the corner.

You could cut battens with a 45 deg angle, but its not essential. You can use standard battens and still nail or screw into them. It all depends on how tight you want it and how well you can do it.

To say nothing about the scribing into the out of true wall. Or bags of filler.

7. daz4142

daz4142 New Member

I am assuming that rather than making a 'box', you are goin across the pipes and forming a triangle in the corner.

Thats exactly whay I was thinking, we are going to get the whole room skimmed and I wanted to box in the pipes before hand with plasterboard so it all flowed nicely.

Would one be easier to plaster / give a better finish than the other ?

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes, now you have said you will be having it plastered afterwards, my advice is to use plasterboard, and the plasterer will love you if you box in with plasterboard.

You should do it square-section.

Batten(normal batten) each wall. Cut your two plasterboard sides, one piece to overlap the other(so 12.5mm wider?).

Fix a piece of normal builders batten(19mmx38mm)flat inside the narrowest and flush at corner edge(where the two boards will meet and overlap) with screws.
    Fit other piece to this and at the wall batten, and then at wall batten for other side. Are you still following :(
    If you're clever, the corner batten will be fixed so that it stands on the floor, so taking the weight instead of plasterboard.

Done.:)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. daz4142

daz4142 New Member

Followed ok thanks ..;-)

Measured up last night and found that I only need to come out by about 50mm from the wall on one side of the pipes. What I may do is to use a larger batton on this side and then just use the 1 piece of plasterboard to complete the box.. sounds like this may be a neater option..

10. daz4142

daz4142 New Member

Just answered my own question, looks like it isnt such a good idea to plaster on to wood .. ! will follow Andy's advice and box them inproperly.