BREXIT, Who Is Laughing Now?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by palavaman, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Do they not have a 40billion deficit then?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

2. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Only if you say so.....!

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

So many questions, you will have to forgive the bite size responses as I don't have the time or flair for concise uninterrupted posting that you accomplish with ease.
    I have said on many occasions, why I voted leave and I don't regret my decision in the slightest.
    The EU is a progressive organisation, it will not stay with the level of control that it currently wields upon it's members, more regulations and even greater reliance will follow if we (and others) hold our hands up and blindly allow it to happen.
    I'm not implying that the goal of a fully federally united European state is an altogether bad concept, but, the British and most other member states won't take kindly to a sneaky deliverance.

I do hope that our decision sends a stark message to the EU council.

philthespark likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

This is another pointless theme.
    Some of the 37% who voted for economic suicide brag about how great they are and the rest of us tell them they are pillocks.
    It's not a debate, it's trying to slap manners into a pig.

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You really shouldn't use exaggerated claims of 'all leave voters were suckered into believing everything' the brexit promoters were spouting, without accepting that the vast majority of 'remainers' were just as equally swayed by the fear inducing drivel spewed up by, Osbourne, Cameron and co.

6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

You can't 'educate' pork!

7. Yes, the Labour MP I mentioned was one of the SNP casualties from a couple of elections back, but I can honestly say that he's a reasonable fellow and balanced in his opinions - and it's always evidence-backed. And my cousin is an SNP supporter - but a more disillusioned one as time progresses. But, yes, that's obviously not a lot to go on as far as personal opinions go.

And then there is the 'news' - and Scotland is running an ever-increasing deficit. Which is no surprise as they need to finance their bribery, er, I mean series of populist policies like free prescriptions, further education, etc. In the current financial climate, these are patently unaffordable, but the SNP will continue to peddle them as they need to 'prove' that they are doing 'better' than the opposition while they try again to achieve their ultimate aim - the destruction of the Union.

Scottish borrowing is currently running at around twice the UK's (based on % of income).

Or is that not the case? If not, please tell me that Scotland is doing ok, and can continue to do so at this rate.

As for 'personal opinions' that is precisely what I said they were. Sturgeon was a breath of fresh air when she first took over from the repugnant Salmond. But, I am not kidding - just look at the head swagger as she makes her glib claims. Sorry, Lancs - it is that sort of cock-sure arrogance that appeals to the average 'Wha's like us' nationalist - those who want to believe.

And Ruth is not my new heroine - simply 'cos she's a Tory. But, she voids Sturgeon's populist glibness which suits me fine for the moment.

You hunny-bunny, you.

8. Longs, I said "You know that the vast majority of 'Leave' voters hadn't the most basic grasp of what they were actually voting for." Which is almost certainly true.

I did not say "...all leave voters were suckered into believing everything."

So you chust behave, you.

And, you are completely wrong about the equivalent Remainers being equally misled, for the simple reason that they tended to come from significantly better educated & professional backgrounds. Basically, they could think and reason. And, they were not driven by some pretend 'fear' of economic drivel by the likes of Osbourne, but certainly understood that serious damage to our economy was almost certain (and, of course, you do realise that's coming true, don't you - and that's only with the threat of Art 50 being triggered...)

Basically, most Remainers knew what they were voting for. And they were right.

Most Leavers, on t'other hand, are complete twits. (That is the correct term.)

So, no, I don't have to accept a correlation betwixt the Leavers and Remainers - because there isn't any. One lot was largely ignorant of the situation they were voting for - and provably so by by the resulting situation.

You know their thinking did not extend beyond "TAKE BACK CONTROL!" The sheer staggering complexity of what is now happening with this Brexit malarkey is not something that flew even briefly through their hapless minds.

(Do you want me to repost the 'most Brexit cafe in the UK' video again...) :)

9. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Where, or who exactly, are they borrowing FROM, especially since the law doesn't allow borrowing?
    This is getting repetitive, my wee Scots thistle.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

11. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Coming back to Brexit I have met a few people who voted to leave who now wished they had voted to remain, as they were mislead or did not think about the consequences, but I have yet to meet someone who voted Remain and wished they had voted Leave. Has anybody else experienced this?
    I really think that the general public will be so sick of the subject in two years time that they will not bother what happens unless it directly affects them. Every news broadcast is dominated by it. Everything that happens good or bad is being related to it. How many trillions of times will this horrible word be uttered before it is settled and we can all forget about it?

12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Oh, how uncanny, I thought the pertinent question was my reason's for voting leave.....
    You've swerved round that one like a pro.
    Good laddie! ;-)

13. "The SNP government's spending spree is funded by billions of pounds’ worth of borrowing from pension funds, international banks and the Treasury."

That is my understanding, Lancs.

If it ain't true, then say so.

14. Yawn.

15. Similarish experience.

I have to say that I haven't personally met a Leaver who has admitted to having changed their mind, but that could be down to them having simply stopped taking about it. And it's actually too embarrassing to broach the subject as it might come across as tho' I'm suggesting "So do you STILL think it was a bludy great idea?!" They were certainly 'full of it' before the vote, very proud and confident in stating their case. But, funnily enough, they stopped mentioning the day after...

The Remainers I know are simply despairing at the loss to our humanity - and the horrible realisation that a huge number of Brits are really pretty daft. We are going to be completely stuffed economically should anything like a 'hard' Brexit occur - but that isn't even the main issue to most Remainers I know.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  16. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

In that case, as you insist on quoting from the Tory Party newsletter, the Torygraph, you might permit me to quote back a WoS article - The Six key facts about GERS.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-six-key-facts-about-gers/

Note Fact 2 - on the 1992 origin of GERS (as a Tory ploy to make Scotland look permanently bad, for purely political reasons!).

Fact 3 - covers the £15 billion you talk about.

Personally I like the final summary :-

"Unionists desperate to use GERS to rubbish an independent Scotland’s finances sometimes admit its flaws, but defend it by saying it’s the only data we’ve got to go on. That’s like saying you don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow so for want of anything better you’ll base your plans around your horoscope in today’s Daily Star."

17. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

My understanding is, Scotland gets it's Barnett formula cash from the Treasury (after paying all it's tax and oil receipts to Westminster) to pay for it's spending and must balance it's budget each year. In fact one particularly notorious year a Labour First Minister handed back a huge 'surplus' to the Treasury instead of spending it on Scots infrastructure, as he should have - clown!!
    The new Queensferry bridge built on budget,( and no PFI, as Labour did with hospitals and the schools that fell down last year!!).Thanks to Gordie Broon, they say!

Of course matters may well alter slightly as Holyrood now gets to collect some income taxes, from next year (with Barnett adjusted accordingly, of course).

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You may not of met her, but she's now running the country.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  19. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Nice one - but it's "have" not "of".:oops:

20. :D

I suspect, tho' she rues the day she took over that job. What a poisoned chalice.