Brexit

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by PaulBlackpool, Feb 22, 2017.

1. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

No! A central authority responsible for standardising the national language is a continental European notion. Britain voted for Brexit! A pox on the acadamie francaise[1] and their ilk.

In English the standard language follows usage. The "correct" usage is the one people use.

So idiosyncratic spelling and grammar is our right and duty as Englishmen.

From now on, whenever you see a missing apostrophe or a superfluous comma, I want you to imagine that you hear "land of hope and glory" playing in background. When I say effect instead of affect then I'm not wrong, I'm just continuing an ancient heritage.

If Shakespeare couldn't consistently spell his own name[2] then should we complain about homophones like "your" and "you're" when it's clear from context?

I'm all for freedumb of expression.

[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Académie_française
    [2] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_of_Shakespeare's_name

2. facilities

facilities Guest

:)

3. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I hope so too, but I'm certain there's some grubby plan afoot, the cabinet imbalance makes me smell a rat.

4. facilities

facilities Guest

Na probably your nose is to near your a##e :rolleyes:, only kidding, as I said hope your wrong Harry

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

X2 ????

6. facilities

facilities Guest

As usual DA Your right your right your right your right your right your right your right........you're right :p:p

Phil DA is referring to 2 of my earlier posts that appears to be grammatically incorrect, he corrected me the first time and unfortunately I had to be reprimanded again hence x2 :(

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. Better.

But a missing collon and comma.

8. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

9. Better than Phail's missing brain... :rolleyes:

10. facilities

facilities Guest

Collon eh, if I could add an oscopy to that I wold like to arrange to book you in for the procedure so long as I could assist and supply the camera and tripod :rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. facilities

facilities Guest

And before you say it yes there should only be one "l" I call it artistic licence o_O

Deleted member 33931 and btiw2 like this.
  12. At this point I usually cite a deliberate attempt at 'rony.

But in this case I have a rather large dollop (thank t'lawd that, at least, has two 'l's...) of egg on my face which I am currently licking orf and will in short term be passing through my col(l)on... :oops:

P J Thompson likes this.
  13. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member