Brick raised beds

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by jambo 1982, Apr 3, 2016.

1. jambo 1982

jambo 1982 New Member

evening all

I want to build some raised beds to grow vegetables in. I don't want it particularly high, maybe 3 or 4 courses.

My question, will any type of brick be sufficient to use? My local salvage yard has a load of reclaimed red bricks going cheap, but I've read that some bricks have different water retention properties and frost resistance etc etc etc

Thanks in advance

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use sleepers,I found them better to use, as I use to dislodge the bricks.

And if I wanted to move the beds around, it was a easy job to just remove the fixings & reassemble in new location.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I made these a few years ago using 6" gravel boards. But sleepers seem a better choice.

upload_2016-4-4_10-56-49.png

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now't wrong with using gravel boards, also seen them done with 8x2, nice thing is you can make them to any size,,shape you like.

5. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

I'm not a bricky but if you want to use bricks you'd be best with engineering bricks where the face wont absorb water and then blow with frost. And line the inside of the bed with polythene or DPM, otherwise you'll get the damp earth salts bleeding though the joints and staining the outside of the beds - this looks terrible if the brick is being painted a light colour.