Brick shed insulation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Paul Thompson, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson New Member

Hi all, I'm currently in the process of converting a brick shed into a usable space, probably a workshop. It is single brick construction with a concrete flat roof, it's 16 x 8 ft with a UPVC window and door. It currently has no heating, but will do in the future.

To date, the concrete floor has been removed and the floor dropped 4 inches (this was necessary due to my height). A new concrete floor has been put in. The new floor was below the slate damp course so tanking was used (couldn't use a plastic sheet DPM), which was taken 4 bricks past the current damp course. A trench was dug around the outside and filled with pea gravel.

Externally, the old roof felt has been replaced with quality torch on felt and the walls have been treated with Stormdry masonry cream. Guttering has been added also.

Since the above has been done, there are no signs of damp and it seems a lot warmer already, which is vast improvement.

The issue I'm having is insulation. I've searched the net and found a number of solutions, which consist mainly of a stud wall being used away from the walls. Unfortunately I cannot use this method due to the restricted width and height.

So I'm looking for some alternative advice. Preferably a solution that will allow me to bond/screw direct to the walls. I was hoping that the use of Stormdry would afford me enough protection to attach direct to the walls, but I can't be sure (pretty amazing stuff though). The insulation needs to be as thin as possible, but still effective (probably asking too much). The ceiling will also need a similar system as the walls due to it being concrete and so low. The floor sadly could not be lowered enough to accommodate insulation due to the drains below, so some advice on floor insulation would also be appreciated.

This may be asking a bit much and I'm sure whatever I do it'll be against some sort of regulation (like above). But I'd appreciate a bit of help.

Thanks

2. Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson New Member

Sorry that should be 16 x 7

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What sort of budget are you looking to spend ?

4. Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson New Member

If it does the job right I'm happy to spend whatever it takes, or should I say whatever the credit card will allow me to spend.

5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Mechanically fix Kingspan K118 boards direct to the wall. Skim. Paint. Enjoy.

6. Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson New Member

Cheers for the reply. I've been looking at this stuff. Seems ideal. Do celotex do a version of the k118. If so what would you recommend?

7. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I recommend K118! I'm sure other variations exist.

8. Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson New Member

OK cheers. ;)