Brick Slips or Cutting Bricks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JJSully, May 22, 2016.

1. JJSully

JJSully New Member

Good Evening Gents,

As you know my building work for my apartment to make it wheelchair accessible is going ahead. As it is going to be dusty job I would like to add some detail to the interior walls.

I just have a quick question about brick slips, brick cladding and brick veneers.

As these names are pretty much the same what do you think is the best process.

Some companies offer the brick slips in panels where you stick a panel of brick slips on a wall with adhesive and then fill in the gaps with cement paste.

Some offer them individually in boxes where you have to do individually put them on the wall with I guess cement.

Does anybody have any experience with these and now the best process which one to go for?

Also what type of material, real brick, clay or lookalike brick would you suggest?

And if you know of any cheap reputable companies that do this?

I also spoke to one of my friends and he said that it might be cheaper for myself to find a brick cutter and buy a load of secondhand bricks, obviously making the brick cutter make them into slips.

Is this a good idea and do you know of any cheap brick cutters in the Hampshire or Buckinghamshire area?

I will only need to buy this forum for a couple of months, apologies in advance if I'm getting on your nerves?

Kindest thanks,

JJSully

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Most brick slips are made same as a real brick, I myself prefer the individual slips, more natural appearance, with the panels, you can workout the where the panels are joined.
    They are fixed with a rapid set flexible wall tile adhesive, but check with your supplier & see what they recommend.
    Also mix your slips from 3, 4 or more boxes, as there can be sometimes very slight colour varitions when firing.

See this thread.

http://community.screwfix.com/threads/chimney-breast.178062/

3. JJSully

JJSully New Member

Hi there appreciate the feedback, def food for thought....

I heard a brick cutter charges 30p a brick