Brick trowels, London or philidelphia

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jackyboy, Jun 21, 2014.

1. jackyboy

jackyboy New Member

What style of brick trowel do you prefer London or philidelphia, i'm not a professional bricky so what would you choose.

I want a decent quality trowel as anyone used a w rose brick trowel forged out of one piece of steel and know where i can get one in the UK, i've read they are like what whs used to be like in the old days.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When i did level l in bricklaying everyone was into Marshall town, and had there 4ft stabila levels. i cant work with wooden handle ones, but im not a bricky either. And they started you off on 10". I have a MT 11" phil patern i paid about 30 pounds.

You really need to find something that your comortable with.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

As above, find what feel comfortable, but for out and out quality you won't find better than Marshall town, I've had mine for over 15 years, it a little worn on the cutting edge but the amount of bricks its cut it should be. :)

4. robbo69

robbo69 New Member

Robbo69 Marshalltown all the way Philly style pick one up and try it each one has a different feel to it because of the lift on it I go for a 19 / 10 19/ 12 s are a bit to big but good for bonus work.

5. jackyboy

jackyboy New Member

I went this morning and got a marshalltown 11" phili, it's forged out of one piece, i got the soft handled type, the only thing i don't like about it is the plastic finger guard thingy that comes down off the handle and goes half way round the tang that goes onto the trowel, this is going to keep getting stuffed up wth mortar.

I nearly went for a ragni phili as it didn't have that plastic guard thingy, but it had a welded on handle so got the marshalltown.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You could always get a hacksaw and follow around at the end of the handle. Its only plastic.;)