Bricking from inside?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mo786, Aug 21, 2014.

1. mo786

mo786 New Member

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It's quite common to do the brickwork first, or run both up together.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

More usual to build both together (well almost together) Blockwork is usually a few courses/feet behind the brickwork as it goes up.

4. Phil the Paver

What I mean is run the brickwork up say 12 courses, then run the blocks up to it then carry on with bricks, this then ties it up nice and tight as you go, if you have a couple of brickies on site, then it's easy for one to drop inside to do the block work, this is how I've allways done it, right or wrong it works for me.

5. mo786

mo786 New Member

It just seems easier to me that you stand outside - build the internal wall and then move backwards (i.e put the ties in and then brick (and insulation)) - in the particular scenario we have it just looks like going the other way would make it harder for the bricking.

Anyway - maybe it is more common than I thought. I have never seen it done this way.

I think he is talking of running a few course sup, put insulation in and then going up liek that.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You will always want to be building from the face/finish side.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. mo786

mo786 New Member

I presume he stands outside doing the bricks then comes inside and does block from inside - that alone is a PITA - it would be awkward to do the blocks with the bricks in the way.

8. Phil the Paver

It is much easier to lay the blocks against a brick wall with insulation batts in place, than it is trying to lay bricks against the block wall, in most cases.

Also on extensions that go up to the boundary with next door, often the brickwork is laid overhand from the inside, that is a pain in the bum, but is a fact of life that has to be done.:(

9. Phil the Paver

Surely you would always lay the blocks from the inside, after all that's the face you will be plastering, so want it as smooth as poss, I do anyway, others may differ, but 30+ years for me doing it that way hasn't caused any problems.

10. mo786

mo786 New Member

I would have thought the aim would be always to get a flush wall so it wouldn't matter.

I am sure it can be done as you but sounds like making something more complicated that it needs to be.

11. Phil the Paver

It is, hence why working from the side you want flush is easier, after all you still need to iron in the joints, so would need to come inside at some point, so why not work from inside and make life easy.;)

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

All bricks and all blocks are not created equal.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. mo786

mo786 New Member

isnt it a priority to keep cement off the ties and falling into the cavity

if you brick/block fro mthe outside at least you are facing them - then you can go inside and poitn it all flush

whereas if you are inside it is harder to see into the cavity as it is in front of you ?

i dunno, maybe its not as major as i thought

i've been watching some videos and seen it done both ways so its put my mind at rest anyway.