Bricking up window

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jonathan Handsley, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Jonathan Handsley

Jonathan Handsley New Member

Hi all i have a little job i have to take out a window about 1.5mx1m and brick up with bricks and breeze blocks how much should i charge i am qualified but havnt priced up work before

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

you have to think carefully about how long it is going to take you to do. multiply the amount of hours by how much you value your time . if you are supplying materials add the cost of them at an uplifted rate that you consider appropriate .no business buys and sells at the same price. adding 10 to 15 % just to cover the handling / sourcing and financing the buying with your money is perfectly reasonable .

3. Jonathan Handsley

Thanks i have never taken a window out so i dont know how long it takes i was thinking 50 just for the brickwork he already has the materials how long does it roughly take i will be doing it on my own

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Jonathan ,you are not in the far east are you mate ? or are you doing it as a favour for a mate ? I would bite your hand off .

5. Jonathan Handsley

No am not lol like i say av never priced a job up i dont wonna rip my self off its a friend of a friend

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Do you have to tooth the bricks in or can you just leave it straight jointed.

What type of window is in place at the mo.

Is it ground floor with clear access inside and out.

Do they want you to plaster the inside.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

lf your happy fine .gonna be an education for you and good experience. good luck with it mate.

8. Jonathan Handsley

Am not sure am going to look tomorrow i think its wood and wont need plastering or toothing its a garage window think the access is clear

9. Jonathan Handsley

Yer i dont think i am thats y am seeking thorts or experianced people what would they charge i obviously wonna get as much as i can

10. Phil the Paver

A garage with bricks and blocks.???

11. Jonathan Handsley

Yes

12. Phil the Paver

Ok, window out, bricks and blocks in, use some Bluebird ties to support both bricks and blocks, leave site clean and tidy, £200/250 plus any expenses.

Bluebird tie, just in case you don't know.

galvanised-steel.png

13. Jonathan Handsley

Thanks alot mate

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For heaven's sake.

You have never taken a window out, and you don't know how long it will take to brick up a window.

In what way are you qualified?

15. Jonathan Handsley

As i have a qualification but no experiance obviously you dont take windows out at collage do you if u havent got anything usufull to say find somewhere else to post your ****

16. Mr. Handyandy

Lovely. So you've never taken a window out(or know how to and how long it might take).
    And you've never laid a window full of brick/blocks(and you don't know how long that will take).

And you're qualified?

Heh. I'm more qualified than you, and I've got NO paperwork!

Didn't you lay a single brick at college?

17. Jonathan Handsley

Well no your not qualified thats what the paper is you may be more skilled then me but everyone starts some where and yes i have layed lots of bricks but new build from the ground up not filling in windows and i dint say i dint no how to take a window out all i am askin is for some advice as to how much to charge and you get weirdos like you trolling if your that pathetic that you need to compare your self to someone just starting out i feel sorry for you

18. Mr. Handyandy

Thanks for the sympathy, but remember, I just asked 'in what way are you qualified'?

And you are asking how much to charge. As you are not supplying materials, then it is your time. You seem to have no idea of how long it might take, I therefore assume that your qualification is pointless. You surely have some idea of how long something like this could take. Otherwise, you have wasted your learning time, or cheated!

gadget man likes this.