Bricklaying

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jitender, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Did some bricklaying the other day on external wall only about 40-50 bricks went up within the day and went smoothly. Only tend to do small repair patches otherwise would call a bricklayer in.

Today began trying to complete the inner wall, doesn't need to be neat on inside as will be plastered over.

Tried for about 2 hours no luck :( had enough

Maybe put too much plasterciser in the mix.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

No luck?????? What's that mean.

To much plasterciser would make the muck a nightmare to get off the trowel as it would stick like ****.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Need more details.

Not making sense.:eek:Tried for about 2 hours no luck :( had enough:confused:

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Managed to lay 6 bricks today.

I was using concrete commons and they aren't very porous so no absorbing much.

Will try again tomorrow.

1st course was a nightmare as the bed had to be a lot thicker as when the house was built the outer leaf and inner block work hasn't come up at the same level, as trying to tie the inner work to the outer leaf using ties.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Here is a picture. Should it come down?

I dont think I put enough cement in the mix, hence why it is going off quickly, only mixed a bucket full and it hasnt gone off in nearly 5 hours! cement was in date.

upload_2016-6-1_16-58-38.png

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How can you mix mortar in a bucket!:confused:, sometimes the admixture wil also contain a retarder,so will it delay setting time, & if your rather over zealous with the amount you add, then it will takes days, sometimes it nevers set..:eek:

7. Phil the Paver

Lol, you contradict yourself, its either going off to fast, or its not.

Colour wise it looks ok.

How much Feb did you put in the mix, it should be a cap full per 2 gallon bucket.

You shouldn't have finish the edge of the opening with 3 Bats like that, should have worked it so the block is on the edge. ;);)

KIAB likes this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It setting but slowly.

Think I may have gone ott on the plasterciser:oops:

Do you think the bonding is ok, thought I'd use up some old half bricks.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

10. Phil the Paver

No insulation either????

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

At least he used a acrow!:)

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have got some cavity insulation, am planning on putting the slab in tomorrow, was making it difficult to lay the blocks.

I bought 2 acrows, but bought another for extra safety :eek: ended up buying them and the acrows prop supports.

The smaller length lintel is extra heavy duty, probably ott, originally there was a HD box lintel.

the other one is only standard duty, but this is where a steel joist will go across to support the loft steel, thats the plan.

upload_2016-6-1_19-10-2.png

upload_2016-6-1_19-9-21.png

13. Phil the Paver

What's with all the blue PLASTIC packers everywhere, these should be slate and filled with mortar as you build, you'll have a hell of a job trying to solidly fill them joints now.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The old ones that came off were just rested on DPC bitumen.

When I get the last course in on the inner leaf will catch lintel there.

The standard duty will be holding up a small load only as UC 89x152mm fill span over this again which will hold the wall plate and another UC.

15. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Packers should actually be old metal shims/ off cuts. BC Don't approve of slate as packers anymore.;)

16. Phil the Paver

Since when ???.

17. Phil the Paver

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had BC here, insist on using metal shims, instead of slate, & that was only 2 or 3 years ago.:eek:
    And I can remember being dragged over coals by BC, way back in 2004-2005 for using slate packers & not steel shims.

19. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

I got pulled up on it in 2007 when I was doing my own extension.
    Seen it pulled up numerous times since.

20. Phil the Paver

Never had a problem with BCs around here using slate, though to be fair once jointed up, how would they know??

CGN, KIAB and seen it all before like this.