Bricks sagging above patio doors.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Cliffandher, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

First of many WHAT SHOULD I DO....

Just moved into bungalow and I notice the bricks above patio door are sagging. It appears there is no lintel above the door, there are only 2 courses of bricks above the door before the facia board with guttering. You can actually push the bricks upwards and see a slight movement.
    I believe the bungalow is cavity wall so assuming internally there is a concrete lintel. Can I just remove the courses of bricks above the patio door, run a flat steel plate across the width of the door and then relay the 2 courses, if so is there a certain distance the steel plate needs to extend past the frame.

2. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Something like one of these would be ideal, with at least 150mm bearing at each end. Ideally, you'd install a flexible DPC / cavity tray with weep vents as well.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Wouldn't use flat plate...'L' section would be better.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Need to use SB/K lintel bottom of that link Rob put up.

5. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Thanks for replies, I will look at the SB/K one, any idea of costs of this lintel? and I assume its something a competent DI Yer could do.....

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There is the Catnic ANG lintel, it's is the same type of lintel, competent DI Yer should be able to remove two courses of bricks & rebuild.
    Do checked the loading to be placed on this or the other lintel, two courses should be ok.

Cliffandher likes this.
  7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have used the single leaf catnic ANG in the past and did notice that on larger spans in excess of 1.2m they need support/propping until the brick work has been laid and gone off, as they can deflect. This was used on a soldier course, so possibly more weight involved.

I thing I would opt for the SB/K type lintel other makes to look for are IG lintles.

Is the patio door fixed at the head?

Cliffandher and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Forget to mention support,was abit early.:oops:

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

have a look at this

The tools the guy uses can be hired and make the job much easier and most importantly safer

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Sagging is inevitable! 40 years and they do start to drop and hang a bit!

Ooops, sorry, wrong thread! :oops::oops:

11. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Sorry not replied been busy stripping wallpaper. I dont know if its fixed at the head, its just I noticed the bricks appeared to be sagging and when pushed upwards there was slight movement also looking around the other windows you can see what appears to be a metal edge (I assume a lintel) and I cannot see one on the patio door. its just another job on the list but it will have to wait until inside house is nearing completion...

12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Do it before you decorate the room the doors are in. Taking down the existing, supporting everything above, rebuilding &c will cause movement which might cause a few minor surface cracks inside - for example at wall to ceiling jon, or above doors.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And the dust.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And you never know what you will discover when you open up the cavity .......

KIAB likes this.
  15. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Thanks for replies, yes this will be one of the last rooms so will make sure its done before decoration and I wonder what I will find... no bones I hope, checked the deeds and Fred West has never lived here, dont know if he did any building work here.;):eek:

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Done work on a few very old houses in the past, found mummified hands, cats hidden in walls, roofs.:eek:

Cliffandher likes this.
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Nothing as dramatic as that!

Hair is a popular thing to bury in walls down here

Working on my father in laws house when we replaced the windows there was a huge fungus growth like a tree. We had to peel open a section of the inner wall from the ground floor up into the bedroom above.