Bricks that are too hard to drill.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by CMOT Dibbler, Dec 18, 2004.

1. CMOT Dibbler

CMOT Dibbler New Member

I have recently moved house and found the bricks to be so hard they are impossible to drill into. I am using a masonary drill bit and a hammer cordless. It hardly marks the brick? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. panlid

panlid New Member

what drill have you got as all cordless are not the same quality and it does count. if it is a n old house it could be common type brick internal walls which are harder than thermalite and breeze block. realisticly you could do with an sds rotary hammer drill to go into hard stuff as the design of the bits means they are better held in chuck and the hammer feature is more pronounced. you will find it will go in really easy.just an added note,i was talking to a customer about diy as he likes doing jobs himself but sometimes struggles. i imformed him that i would struggle using £20 jigsaws etc, and that he would be better served throughout his diy lifetime buying proffesional quality tools that would last alot longer, do a far better job which in turn will let him enjoy it more therefore inspiring him do to more, therefore saving him more money,,,,therefore paying for the extra cost of the tools....PHEW,SORRY.anyway let us know what driil you have

3. handyman.

handyman. New Member

If for occasional use, get a cheap corded drill from B&Q. You will see the differance. Look for the blows per minute on the spec, the higher the better.

4. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

u must use a sds drill,and that will do the job.

5. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Hello b&s

Spot on ol mate. The SDS has far more torque that conventional bit patterns and the drill sure does help.

DeWalt offer corded drills for less than £80 these days and if you are lucky you can pick up 240v Hilti drills from hire shops very cheaply cos they aint allowed to rent them out anymore. They have changed their stock to 110v.

There is nothing known that a Hilti drill and cobalt bit wont drill through. Be careful though cos if it bites then the drill wont stop but instead you will spin round at the same revolutions that the drill bit was travelling before it bit. Great for drying wet hair!

The Chinese drills from B&Q and the like are only useful for DIYers and handymen who dont really get involved in real building work. They are disposable items. Pay a little more and get a lot more.

6. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I'm only thinking of the cost when I say a corded B&Q drill for CMOT Dibbler.

Please absord this next statement.....If you get a SDS then you have to get the SDS drills, dont you??? Even more cost. You should have a corded drill anyway, so therefore I would try this first.

I would suggest this is a fair point to make, wouldnt you CF? (go suck a door handle)

By the way I have a corded and 18v makita drill, which, for a DIYer is a large amount of money to pay £400+ to put a few shelfs up 3 times a year. I also have a cheap SDS drill as I find that the chucked corded drill will drill almost anything I need it for.

7. handyman.

handyman. New Member

And what I need my drills for is handyman type work, not building work (I don't have the **** crack for that) ;)

I'm presuming if someone has to ask why or how to drill a hard brick, then he must be a DIYer (occasional use)

8. panlid

panlid New Member

jesus handyman how much are sds drill bits for god sakes.are you on the ale again? before replying please reas my earlier post and see if you think i have a fair point. bosch sds drill £120? cant be much more, diy last a lifetime. b&d special £40.up north we call them scouse drills...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. if you know what i mean

9. panlid

panlid New Member

and by the way handyman i thought screwfix was "everything for the trade" so why has it been overun by diy skintflint to tight to pay tradesmann types.f off to www.diy.com

10. handyman.

handyman. New Member

Just a little unfair SID. These cheap drills must be bought by someone......like CF who buys them with a makita sticker over the Ferm badge!!!

A lot of people have other priorities other than tooling, even £30 is to much more to pay.

And you have to say that you could use the same drills with a corded drill, so....

As for not getting a tradesman, well its obvious isn't it?

11. anglebox

anglebox New Member

Screwfix are more than happy to deal with DIY people just as they are happy to deal with farmers, facilities managers and other professions as shown on the order form in the centre of the catalogue. I am a customer of Screwfix not because I am a tradesman but because I was actively canvassed by the company.
    It is offensive to use abreviated profanities against others who have every right to use this sight courtesy of Screwfix. If you want to be elitist I believe that there are sites such as Novaforum where 'real' tradesmen can air there views.

12. anglebox

anglebox New Member

Whoops! It should be:- 'their' views

13. panlid

panlid New Member

never been to novaforum and quite frankly i dont like the name so i wont be going THERE. any way that will probably be overun very soon now you have given it a mention.and as for your grammer, take a day off

14. panlid

panlid New Member

handyman be careful or anglemunch will be putting red circles all over your postings

15. anglebox

anglebox New Member

SID, your agressive attitude and language are indicative of the intellectual level at which you operate. I believe that you are in breach of para 5.3.2 of the terms and conditions of use of this site. I suggest that you read this paragraph, if you have any problems with the words I am sure that you can be given help.

16. panlid

panlid New Member

para.

17. panlid

panlid New Member

disseminate please

18. panlid

panlid New Member

stop looking it up.... come on

19. anglebox

anglebox New Member

Please : Be agreeable or give joy or satisfaction to. Try the Oxford Dictionary

20. panlid

panlid New Member

im only on tonight as the telly is boring and the wife has gone out. why are yiou picking on me ? sir